Questions about the 77W? Going to be at the WLG tour sessions tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by ThatJohn, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Milepointers,

Since I scored one of the tour sessions around the 77W tomorrow in Wellington, I was wondering:

(a) if anybody who has not been as fortunate as I to snag an invite would like to come along, as my initial choice of chum has to (pah!) work,​

(b) if any of you will be around and would care for a swift one in the Corporate Box (I have access through PP, one of three times when PP has come in useful).​

Alternatively, I will be the one built for opera not for speed who is checking out the J and PE seats with great care. Do say hello!

Drop me a Conversation if you'd like to come along!

kiwi likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there but no time to stop for a drink unfortunately.

3. haydensydney
    Original Member

haydensydney Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was announced (minus the date) shortly after 77W open days were announced for AKL and CHC.

I can remember 747s diverting to WLG when both AKL & CHC closed due to fog. This predates the improved equipment at AKL to allow landing in even the densest fog, and when Ohakea was not allowed to be used by commercial aircraft diverting (which is where they go nowadays if required).

ThatJohn likes this.
  5. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want a "dislike" button! ;)

I got my invite from @flyairnz on Twitter.

That would have been a sight to see out of my Mt Cook window. :D

6. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait to hear thoughts from those who attended

Jeff

7. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    In brief:

* squishy new BP is excellent, although loses something without the nose cabin on the 744
    * PE is very very very VEEEEEERY cramped. Would almost prefer a Y bulkhead. Kiwi and I sat next to each other in the outboard seats, and, well, you know I'm built for opera not for speed...yet, I felt very close and couldn't even open the tray table in the aisle. Outboard aisle has knee obstructions. Middle pair aisle seat has knees poking into aisle.
    * Cuddle Class is less horribly cramped than I was expecting, but the aisles are horridly narrow. I sat with my back against the wall with my feet flat against the aisle armrest and couldn't extend my legs fully. Lying down, my feet touched the armrests in the middle seats aisle.

...and I can't really say much more because of the day job, but prod me elsewhere for full details once we publish next week.

jswong and kiwi like this.
  8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have posted a review of Air NZ 77W on my blog. Very disappointed, although there are a small number of good seats (other than business class of course).

I've noted the good seats too.

serfty, ThatJohn and jswong like this.
  9. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice roundup, kiwi.

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let me know if I've forgotten or overlooked anything.

11. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't think you've forgotten anything, though I'm not so sure I agree with you on best PE seat...I'd probably take the window, because my knees jutted out awfully into the aisle from the middle two seats.

12. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So out of my 495 pictures (seriously...) this is one of my faves: the departure, where I hoofed it down to Moa Point to watch. I am stunned by how little runway it took. (And faintly grumpy about that...I wanted it to roar inches over my head like in St Maarten.)

Also, how quiet these birds are! An A320 was louder going overhead.

[​IMG]

13. yankiwi
    Original Member

yankiwi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The amount of runway needed for takeoff was most likely related to its extremely light load (minimum crew) required for landing/takeoff on WLG's very short runway. Still nice you got to see it even without the roar!

14. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, absolutely, although I did see that the back starboard cargo door was open around 1200 when I went on board. (Dunno if that was so the WLG loaders could have a peer inside or whether they'd brought stuff down in the hold.)

There was a fairly stiff wind (for anywhere but Wgtn!) blowing right up the runway too.

Still, absolute beauty of an aircraft.

(Oh, go on, have another shot of it, I'm sure the boss won't mind.)

[​IMG]