Questions about SPG transfer partners

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TUMD, Feb 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a personal SPG AMEX card on the way and so does my girlfriend. I was wondering if there are restrictions to transfering to airline FF programs in your name only? Can we both convert our SPG points into my AA account?

satman40 likes this.
  2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure but I believe you can only transfer SPG points to FF accounts that have the same name.

However if you live together you can transfer the SPG points between accounts without issues.

So SPG1->FF1 ok
    SPG2-> FF1 not ok
    SPG2->SPG1->FF1 ok

TUMD likes this.
  3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    We do live together but aren't married yet so have different last names. Does it just go by the home address listed in both accounts?

boondr likes this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am married to my wife we have different last names,

Asian's keep,their last name, and so does many others

BA will let you merge accounts.

boondr and alfagirl like this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i think it goes by same address..

just checked the SPG site :

4.1 Transferring Starpoints.

• 4.1.a. SPG Members Who Reside at Same Address. In Starwood's sole discretion, an SPG Member may be permitted to transfer Starpoints from one SPG Member account to another SPG Member account under specific conditions. Generally, Starpoints may transfer if both SPG Members are active, consent to the transfer, and share the same residential mailing address that is not a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address for a minimum of 30 days prior to requesting the transfer. SPG Members may be required to provide proof of residency prior to Starwood transferring the Starpoints between the two accounts. Elite membership status and the related benefits will not transfer to the recipient of the Starpoints.

boondr, gconnery and TUMD like this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its just the address. You can transfer to the account of anyone with the same address. The last name listed on the transfer is just to check that you didn't make a mistake typing in the SPG number.

boondr likes this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should work plus it will help maximize the transfer bonuses from SPG.

25k bonus +5k spend= 30k each. 30+30= 60k or 3 separate 20k+5k transfers for a 75k total as opposed to a 70k total transferred from separate accounts.

8. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    just remember the 30 day requirement for having the same mailing address in the membership profile:)

TUMD likes this.
  9. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I know that you can transfer between SPG accounts with the same address, but I was curious if you have to transfer from other people's SPG into your frequent flier program account or anyone's? For example, I have transferred my girlfriends UR's into my United Miles and my Hyatt Gold Passport account (without transferring between UR accounts). So I was wondering if I could transfer her (or Dad's, etc) SPG points into one of my airline mile programs like I did with UR's?

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to posts from Starwood representatives, it may be accepted by Starwood, but it would likely be rejected by the airline if you attempted to transfer points from your SPG account to somebody else's frequent flyer miles account. The standard suggestion is that you CAN transfer points between SPG accounts, as long as the two people have been at the same address (as far as SPG is concerned) for at least 30 days. You can then transfer the points from that SPG account to that same person's airline or hotel account.