Questions about Mileage Malls

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Darcie, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Darcie
    Original Member

Darcie Silver Member

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer magazine is writing an article about Mileage Malls for the September issue, which will be available at InsideFlyer.com (for free) at the end of August.

We'd like to get some comments from members who earn miles/points from online shopping and would like to hear your answers to one or all of the questions below.

What’s the most number of miles/points you've earned from making a purchase from the mileage mall?

How do you maximize the number of miles or points you earn from mileage mall shopping?

What, if anything, would you like to change about the way mileage malls currently work?
    Thank you!
    Darcie

2. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not even going to touch the "most miles/points" question because I know some with past purchases in the range of "hundreds of thousands of dollars" ...

My answer to the second is primarily taking advantage of special offers / multi-partner offers if any come to mind, falling back on the evreward.com site on a per-merchant basis if not. Lately, I've been attracted more to the Capital One Reward program for the Venture card.

I have to give a nod to PriorityClub and Office Max as leaders on the "what I would like to change" overall. Although the feature probably exists for other malls and merchants, an order confirmation that also lists the number of points I have earned through the purchase has made that mall and that firm the first combination I consider for office supplies.

viguera likes this.
  3. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to use CO ShopOnepass most often, but now that their double points feature just ended last week, I may shift my online purchasing to HawaiianMiles Mall. Hawaiian seems to be on the aggressive now with new partnerships with Amazon and other retailers. I also like how you can earn miles by purchasing store gift cards, which most malls like Hilton HHonors and other airline malls won't let you do. Sure you can earn miles by going through Giftcertificates.com, but 1) that's an extra step and 2) unless you can find codes to reduce their processing/shipping fees, not worth it sometimes.

I try to use evreward.com too, but it looks like it's outdated info usually.

4. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recent purchase from the mileage malls was from the Amex MR store. I bought a new Apple Mac Book Pro which will earn 4 points per dollar spent. During the summer months, Apple runs a back to school special where you get a free iTunes GC and printer

The total costs of a mac book pro and printer ran about $1200(You get a rebate check in the mail for the printer). So I netted nearly 5,000 points because tax doesn't count towards the purchase prices, it's only the cost of the laptop

This may not sound interesting, but what I did was sell my two year Apple Mac book pro for $750. I sold the printer and iTunes gift card to subsidize the cost of the new mac book.

The end result is an brand new mac book pro(with a one year warranty) and about 5,000 MR points for about $290 out of pocket. I consider it a pretty good bang for your buck

kenbo and upgrademe like this.
  5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who can forget track-it-back from US Airways?
    Now I'm sure that people netted millions of miles...

6. Jimmy28

Jimmy28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One trick that's working for me is to click on the iTunes store link (AAdvantage Mall) before shopping on the MAC App Store. Even though the link of course opens iTunes and takes you to that store, however it's being tracked it's working if you click and then turn around and buy from the Mac App Store. I just had 90 points post from my Lion upgrade purchase.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had to buy four tickets to take our daughter, son-in-law and their twins to Scottsdale with us. Happened when US Air had a promotion with a site called BookingBuddy. In the end, we netted 84,000 bonus Dividend Miles for two extra clicks over going straight to the US Air website.

Although I had no idea if they would actually deliver, since there was no downside risk, I recommended my business partner buy his family's Aruba tickets this way. He ended up with 175,000 "free" miles from the same promotion. No doubt in my mind heads rolled after this ridiculous promotion.

That said, it is very hard for me and my wife to "remember" to start at these malls when we shop online. Hopefully, it can become a habit soon as I know we are passing up lots of free miles.

icurhere2 likes this.
  8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love mileage malls/shopping portals! I use them many times per month for virtually every purchase that we make online. It doesn't compare to some of the huge mileage hauls that others get, but I once bought a few thousand dollars with of workout equipment (eliptical, weights, etc...) from Sears when it was 12x points. I get remember the exact total of miles we got, but it was probably in the 15,000 mile range. Over half-way to a free domestic ticket just for buying equipment we wanted anyway! We have also had some good success buying stuff for home remodels through Lowes and then doing "in store pick-up". We also get lots of "little things" like baby clothes, diapers, etc... through mileage malls and it all adds up.

My biggest frustration is in tracking the miles after the fact. Some, like Membership Rewards, make it virtually impossible to track point bonuses effectively. I would love to see that improved. Others do a much better job.

Looking forward to the article, this is one my family's favorite ways to earn miles!

9. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love mileage malls; just wish they worked better!:)
    At the moment, AA is most important to me; but I am still waiting for miles from one purchase:mad:. This inability to get miles posted promptly causes me to consider shopping at another airline's mall, or buying from a different online store. I think you know the drill; the mall claims the problem is with the store and the store claims the problem is with the mall.:rolleyes:
    I've had good luck with Amtrak. I've had good luck with CO; but New United's relationship with AGR will determine if I continue to use CO's mall.
    Right now, I am seriously considering Hawaiian. In the long term, the mall with the good selection of stores and the best track record of getting the miles posted will win out.
    Afterall, inspite of what the economy is doing these days, we still have brick and mortar stores in this town. I can get what I want today, and still get some miles by using my credit card.:p

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is terrible with posting miles from the AAdvantage e-shopping portal. Often it's 2 months plus from the activity date, and even though that's what they list as the expected wait time you have to wonder why in this day and age of electronic transactions anything needs to take that long. :)

There's no doubt that they're great assets combined with the respective shopping toolbars if you do a lot of online shopping. Plus having multiple options is always a good idea as well, just in case you don't know who is offering what when it comes to a particular merchant... That $100 Groupon could net you 800 AA miles or 1k Priority Club points just like that, whereas if you bought it "on your own" you'd earn nothing.

It's like finding money (well, miles) on the street. :)

11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're fine with the terms and conditions of the mileage/point generating toolbars, I have one installed on a single browser for each of the four computers I use. Points for the searches themselves and usually a reminder if the merchant does offer miles. AA and HA seem to get the most use from me lately.

viguera likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have AA / US Airways on IE/Firefox as well. It's a good way to remind you of any opportunities that you might overlook.

13. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the AA shopping mall when it works (which is less than half the time). I am a loyal AA flyer so AA is my main mile programme and I like the store selection but as said earlier here... the reliability is lacking.