Questions about flying LH after 4 years..grateful for help

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by excelsior, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    completely stopped flying LH in 2008 as they went obsolete with their Busuiness Class hard product,and introduced HON, after 10 years as a Senator.

They are still obsolete but Im getting a GRU-DEL return later this month in J 40 per cent cheaper than any other airline. That is fair makeup for the obsolete product

So i guess Im going for it. I have not flown Lufthansa since 2008 so am quite excited to see whats on offer at least in the soft product.

So I have 5 questions -- Would be grateful for responses

(1) How is C Class catering nowadays? It used to be pretty good?
    (2) Is the SEN lounge in FRA still a dump (compared with, say the BA C lounge in Heathrow, i mean) or have they been improvements (Im *G with another airline)? I assume the SEN lounge is still the best lounge to use in FRA? if *G and travelling in Business?
    (3) If I upgrade to F MUC-GRU can I expect caviar onboard? (LH used to be very good with this)
    (4) Hows the F lounge in MUC?
    (5) Does F still have worse IFE compared to business?

Oh and one more... do they still serve really bad Scotch in business Class (Grants, it used to be!)

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) C Catering is quite mediocre.
    2) Yes
    3) Caviar yes
    4)Excellent
    5)Yes unless you are on a refurbished plane (unlikely)

You can also look at Swiss to GRU- their First class is excellent.

3. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!!! Unfortunately Swiss is not giving the same good deals as LH so Im stuck with LH

4. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was suggested to me on the community Board that I shopuld report all info I get from ""öther places"" here as well. So heres the gist

Surprisingly little has changed on LH in the last four years On the downside the catering in Business has worsened or become hit and miss. The IFE in F is still useless and worse than business (I find this amazing. a short transition yes but for four years running?.. dont regular F flyers make a huge fuss about this? If not they deserve it I guess) The SEN lounges are still overcrowded and no match for BA On the plus side you still get caviar in F and the FC lounges are excellent

Something has had to give and where there is competition it seems to me that LH has become a cheapo Business class airline (which is why I am flying them I suppose)... 40 per cent cheaper GRU-DEL than the first rate competition (EK QR SQ) and 25-30 per cent cheaper than the second rate competition (AF, BA TK) But you know,. if I dont have an absolutely horrible experience, Ill fly them again at these prices!

for those interested return J GRU- DEL in MAy is, in USD:
    4400 on LH
    5500 on BA
    5800 on AF
    7500 on QR and TK
    7700 on EK
    7900 on SQ

These are significant price differentials, no?

By the way does anyone know what Scotch they serve on board in Business .. it used to be Grants (ugh!), a whisky I used to drink as an undergraduate.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent Report. In my experience, the prices to Brazil and Argentina vary wildly on Lufthansa and Swiss- I have seen tickets ranging (roundtrip to EU) from 2000 EUR to 8000 EUR in business.
    I fear, by the way, that you may relive your undergraduate days with the Scotch (probably better to pass)- they do have a rather drinkable cognac however if that will suffice.

6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first-class service we received on LH, was the best be have ever had, except possibly on Concorde, but I do love that caviar. :) Prior thereto we had flown first on United, British, Singapore, Malaysia, and Air New Zealand.

Personally, I am perfectly happy in business as long as I have a bed and a decent entertainment system (which they do not have on LH first).

We will be having our first AA business experience in April. Hopefully, it will be good.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points Punki. Unforutnately LH business does not have a proper bed. The entertainment system itself on LH is not bad- however the little screens in First are really quite poor. I think LX tops LH in First. AA is nothing bad- however nothing to get excited about either- typical US airline utilitarian product/service.

8. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might be able to use LX on ZRH-GRU on a LH codeshare flightnumber, if the routing of you fare allows that...?

9. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfoprtunately no.. this is a very special and as you see very cheap ticket LH only!