Questionable Boarding Zone Situation

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just thought I would put this up to get all of your thoughts. My wife was flying alone (no status as i was not with her) PVD-CLT-BNA. When she printed off her boarding passes it said Zone 4. I found this odd as we both have a US Airways World MC which gives Zone 2 boarding. I told her to either go up to the podium and change or just board with Zone 2 and have your CC out to verify that you should be boarding with Zone 2. She chose the later and had her CC out and boarded with Zone 2. When she got to the gate agent she was given a lecture of how it was not her turn to board. She informed them that she should have boarded with Zone 2 because of the CC. Agent responded something along the lines of "well I'll let it go this time" lecture. My wife let it slide and didn't try boarding in Zone 2 at CLT. I was uoset not only that her boarding pass didn't print off as Zone 2 but when she boarded with CC in hand she was given the run around about proper Zone boarding speech.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well to look at it from the other side, the agent doesn't know if the card is valid or even if it's hers. And to stop and verify that info when the boarding pass clearly says zone 4, well, you can see where he's coming from.

Next time she should check and try to get another boarding pass with the proper zone and avoid any sort of confrontation.

torbster likes this.
  3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I agree here. I think gate agents need to realize, but don't always do a good job, of realizing that technical glitches happen, and if someone approaches them with supporting information in hand, it should be easy to quickly verify. This happened to me the last time I flew United; my *A Gold status did not print on my boarding pass, so I approached the gate with my US Airways Platinum card, clearly showing expiration date and Star Gold status, but was turned away by the GA regardless.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you're looking at boarding time though... that's crunch time. They have a tough enough time keeping the line moving and making the boarding process move along, now they have to worry about boarding passes not having the correct zone, looking at a credit card, etc.

I can see them trying to verify and rectify this at the podium, long before boarding, but not at all when the line starts to move.

5. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same thing happen when I got my credit card, and showing my credit card along with the BP was accepted without question at DFW and PHL. As an aside, the French Canadians who fly out of Burlington, VT, (very close to Quebec) always ignore the zone numbers and just pretend not to understand English when questioned. That could be another technique.