Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Larken, Dec 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Larken

Larken New Member

Status Points:
    Hello.

For a long time I've been wanting to look into and organize the different programs I'm a member of, but it's just such a complex jungle. To date I've joined 3 different airline programs in the 3 different alliances in order to collect the points. However, I have no clue if I've chosen the best programs that suit me as a traveler. So a little bit about me.

I travel most of the world and almost always choose the shortest/quickest route, thus naturally I fly with different carriers very often. In order to collect the points on every alliance I've chosen SAS Eurobonus for Star Alliance, Qantas for One World and Air France for Flying Blue.

I'm not interested in really spending much time in maximizing, collecting points or "hacking", I just want the points to be collected and saved in a good program, preferably a program that let's me be flexible with my points. I basically just want to keep everything very simple, as few cards as possible, and perhaps tie it together with some credit card too for maximum simplicity and effectiveness. And it doesn't have to be the program with the best point/rewards ratio, just to avoid small obscure carriers.

I mostly purchase flights with business class, so I earn points quite quickly.

Any suggestions how you would go about setting it up?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you based? That will make a difference when it comes to cards.

Beyond that, I'd say you've probably picked the wrong program for oneworld unless you fly a ton on Qantaa and have status there. Redemption from the QFF program is nearly always an awful deal.

Flying Blue is okay but not perfect, again depending on what you plan to do with the points. But it may be the best option in SkyTeam for many reasons. SAS is similarly challenging with many redemptions.

You say a few times in the post that you don't want to put any effort in to making it better. But you're here and asking so that is unlikely to be entirely true. What is your goal with the points? That likely changes the "right" answer somewhat.

3. Larken

Larken New Member

Status Points:
    Hello Aramean.

I can't say that I'm based anywhere as I travel and live in many different countries.

What I meant when I said that I didn't want to put any effort into it, I meant that once I'm setup I'm not going to be looking on the internet how to maximize my points and looking for deals. I want to be part of the best program so I can funnel my points into it.

So, if all my choices so far for the 3 different alliances aren't the best, what do you recommend?