Question relating to treatment of stopovers on distance based awards

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by jfhscott, Apr 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Oh, please help me understand ANA’s mileage based awards!
    First, does ANA truly enforce the rules relating to who (family for ANA flights, pointholder only for partner flights as discussed here:?
    I am aware that this step requires registration of the “award user” here:
    I suppose it can limit the secondary market for points, but otherwise it kinda sucks.
    Second, I find their rules for stopovers rather ambiguous, especially the following language:
    Your entire itinerary may have no more than 4 stopovers (a stay exceeding 24 hours). (Only 1 stopover in Japan is permitted for itineraries departing from overseas. Stopovers in Japan are not allowed for itineraries departing from Japan. 2 stopovers are permitted within Europe.)Only 1 stopover is permitted for each city. Ground transportation during an itinerary is regarded as a stopover.
    No stopovers or ground transportation within the country of origin are permitted on international routes (itineraries that include 2 or more countries).
    In the case of Round-the-World tickets only, up to 8 stopovers are permitted between the origin and final destination. However, only 3 stopovers are permitted within Europe.

Routes cannot pass through the region of departure en route to another destination.

You cannot arrange an itinerary to go to a third country via the departure country.

OK, I understand the difference between a stopover and a connection (the 24 hour rule).

1. Do these rules seriously mean that an international itinerary pretty much, in practical terms, has got to start in a hub city? DCA-CLT-BZE-CLT-DCA is an awesome routing and costs 22K miles vs. 30K on US, but it “pass[es] through the region of departure en route to another destination” although not necessarily a 24+ hour stopover?

2. Unlike American’s distance based awards, I see no provision preventing one from having a stopover in the originating city. Does this mean that one may route, say: DCA-BUF(stopover)-DCA(stopover for several months)-ORD(stopover)-DCA, thereby essentially getting two weekend trips for 20,000 miles in Y?