Question Regarding Stopover and Origin for Award Flight to Asia

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by corz123, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I could really use some help as I'm planning to book a flight to Asia to backpack the near future. I want to go backpack in Asia and have the following questions:
    1) If I'm flying out of SFO what are my stopover options? Any good suggestions?
    2) Can I fly to South America either Colombia or Brazil first either using the stopover or a getting myself a one way there?
    3) What happens if I have a award with a partner after 2/1 and I need to change the flight?

I'm really looking to this trip so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    South America cannot be used as part of the stopover to Asia. You could do a one-way to South America and then book from there to Asia, a stopover and destination within Asia and then return to SFO and it should price as such. Not a great deal, but it is an option.

As for where to stop in Asia, what are you looking to do? It is a big place and there are lots of things to see and do there. BKK and SIN are often considered popular bases for LCC hops around the region.

I don't remember 100% but I am pretty sure it will reprice.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider did say that date changes would not require a repricing however routing/carrier changes would.

However what he says and what the agents will do won't be the same thing. :rolleyes:

4. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to stay on a budget. Would like 2 places for the following:
    1) Relaxed Cheap Place with Nature where I can read a book and go into hermit mode for a few weeks.
    2) Place with vibrant expat/travel community where I can relax and drink beer w/ new people everyday.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thailand has some excellent beaches to recuperate in natural surroundings and be disconnected from the rest of the world.

Then again one could easily do that in Tanzania or the Marshall Islands. :p