Question Regarding "mixed cabin".

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by corz123, Dec 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys! Was wondering if I could ask a quick question. Say that I booked a business class award and the results for a search show up as "mixed cabin" with a leg in economy either due to premium cabin being sold out or it being a 1 cabin flight.

1) If the sold out premium cabin becomes available, is there a fee to change up from economy to business since the whole segment was supposed to be premium to begin with?

2) If I change to a different routing will there be an issue with booking all the segments in business as well?

Thanks in advance!

Maximizer likes this.
  2. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'm sure interested to hear from anyone who does!

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the premium cabin becomes available after booking, you can move into that cabin without a fee as you already paid for it (via miles). If you change the routing it's based on the inventory available at the time of the change.

4. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) There is no fee to change cabins within a reward ticket. Also if you are on a UA flight, the agent should be able to waitlist you so the upgrade will clear automatically if space opens.

2) as long as there is space available there shouldn't be a problem. However, if you book now and change after 1/31/2014 you will be subject to the new higher redemption rates. Also note you are subject to any change fees that may apply depending on your MP elite level.

dstober likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had this happen to me a couple of months ago.

If you pay the appropriate miles, then there is no fee.

The only "catch" is that UA's system will not automatically do it for you. You need to constantly re-check to see if the inventory becomes available (I did it by regularly checking the website for just that segment only). Then, call reservations and they will move you up and they will re-issue your ticket.

6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have a follow-up question. In the mixed cabin situation, will I have any problems getting into the lounge before boarding the economy flight? Will it be easy to explain the situation to the lounge attendant? Or do I need to ask for some sort of invitation at check-in?

Thanks!

7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    By all means ask the lounge attendant (gate guard). Normally they can assist you or in larger lounges point you to a separate service desk inside.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the lounge and the routing (and status). Presuming zero status, if it is a UA lounge and the premium cabin segment is on UA metal then, generally speaking, you get access. If the lounge or the long-haul segment are not UA then you are less likely to get in. Share specifics of your situation if you want a more accurate answer.

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no status. I will be on a UA business class award VIE-ORD-LAX, Austrian in business, UA in economy due to no availability up front. Can I get into a lounge? Only UA lounge? Thanks!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will have access to the Austrian lounge in Vienna. You will not have access to a lounge in ORD.

Assuming the award is issued by UA call in and ask to wait-list the ORD-LAX segment in F. Still won't get you lounge access but you should at least have a chance at the bigger seat.

Maximizer likes this.