question regarding merging reservations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chinook13, Jun 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chinook13

chinook13 Member

Status Points:
    First time poster!

I have finally earned enough AA miles to book a trip to Spain/Portugal. I used AA miles to book PHL-ORD-MAD on US Airways/Iberia in November. I then paid for a flight from MAD-LIS on IB. These are two separate reservations with a 4 hour layover in MAD (I plan to take advantage of the IB arrivals lounge). My question is how do I merge the two separate reservations so my checked baggage goes through to LIS?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Counsellor likes this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, chinook 13!

I'm not sure that you can merge them, as one is an award and the other is paid travel.

What I have done in cases with separate reservations is when I check in, I show the counter agent the two reservations, and ask if they'll be kind enough to check the bags all the way through. In my experience, in about two-thirds of the cases they will, particularly when it's the same carrier the bag will be coming off of.

One question, though: On AA (and I think US Air as well) you should have been able to include the flight from MAD to LIS as a part of the award ticket, if my understanding is correct, since it's on Iberia and within 24 hours of arrival at MAD. Did you try?

(If you didn't, and the ticket you bought cost you $200 or less or is non-refundable, I'd just chalk it up to experience because it will cost you more to change your award ticket to add the new destination. However, always keep in mind that you should be able to add feeder flights on both ends of your trans-Atlantic award.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    WilliamQ and edekba like this.
  3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Counsellor. In fact, I run into this fairly often flying on two different carriers to GCM. I ask at the desk if they'll check my bags to the destination and so far all have complied.

WilliamQ and Counsellor like this.
  4. chinook13

chinook13 Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately the MAD-LIS was a non-refunable ticket...womp womp.

I will also have the same luggage issue when I travel LIS-MAD-RAK. LIS-MAD is on IB but MAD-RAK is on Ryanair (with a 2.5 hour layover). I'm assuming IB will be less willing to check my bags through on Ryanair so does that mean I will need to retrieve my bags in MAD and clear security again? Does anyone have enough knowledge of MAD to know how long that could take?

5. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you purchase the Iberia flight with American? If you did call reservations and they should be able to link the reservations. I've done this using the Platinum line but am sure the regular line can do it if you ask nicely. If the ticket was bought from Iberia then AA will not have access to the reservation.

gconnery likes this.
  6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot transfer luggage to Ryan Air. Don't waste time at the airport and go directly to Ryan air. They have long lines. Make sure you have checked-in on line and printed your boarding pass before you get there or you'll spend a lot more in fees than you did for the ticket. Also watch the size of your hand carry. Ryanair is an experience you will not forget. But it's part of the fun of traveling.

gconnery and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

The advice already given here is sufficient to merge the reservations, but I would strongly advise you to double and triple check the baggage tags. The wife and I flew to Spain ORD-MAD then onward MAD-SCQ. The two legs were purchased separately. Despite having merged the reservations and being very clear about our final destination, our bags stayed in MAD when we flew on to Santiago. (Which really cramps your Camino-walking style when all of your hiking gear is in the checked bags...)

gconnery, Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advice are all here, nothing much to add except a WELCOME!

Ouch!

9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, ... that seriously sucked, but it was the first time I really put the AMEX Plat travel assist people to the test. They called *me* every two hours with an update on my luggage.
    • Haven't found it yet
    • They know it's in Madrid, but haven't found it yet
    • They've found it and the're putting it on the morning plane to Santiago.
    • It's arrived at Santiago and we're hiring a cab to bring it to your hotel.
    • Poof! Luggage!
    I kid you not, if "priceless" weren't already claimed by Mastercard, those guys should get it.

anileze likes this.
  10. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I think the AMEX travel people like being the unsung heroes. There's a certain something satisfying about making someone's day/week/trip and not submitting a press release about it.

anileze likes this.