question regarding compensation due to delayed flight/missed connection?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by spesalvi, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a frequent flyer and this is my first experienced of a delayed flight and missed connection due to the airline (United). Last Sunday my flight out of Albany was delayed for more than 2 hrs to my connection Chicago which of course by then I missed my flight to go home to IAH and then they didnt have a flight home to IAH til the next day Monday morning. (I'm not even sure what the heck was the reason just on the monitor it said something about "awaiting inbound carrier). When I finally got a spot to my connecting city @ O'Hare this was approaching midnight, they gave me a voucher to stay at the Holiday Inn and $20 voucher for food, my question to you guys is, isnt this cheap, aren't I supposed to get more than that? I had to missed work on Monday because of this, I had no more sick days and already used up my vacation days etc
    Any guidance would be appreciated thanks!

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think United did what was required (or more) - especially since you don't know the cause of the delay - could have been something completely beyond United's control (i.e. weather). You were given a room and money for meals. They can not be held accountable for you missing work and not getting paid. Just think if they were responsible for people missing a day of work. The CEO of a company, making millions of dollars a year would miss a day.......compensation could be in the 10's of thousands of dollars for one person. You could not differentiate between those that had vacation time available and those that didn't.

When you saw that the incoming was delayed, did you talk to an agent to see if there were other flights they could rebook you on?

3. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they couldn't get me until the next day, there were many others ahead of me, I guess they were able to rebooked earlier than me......I had to talked to flagged down 2 agents and after an hr or so was able to get a hotel voucher if not I wouldve been stranded in Ohara!! This was my first experience of this unfortunate event, I was just curious if this was normal compensation or not, thanks for the reply.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it had been something beyond control, it's quite unlikely they would have given a "not very frequent flyer" a free hotel room. They used to do that for 1Ks, but even that is history now.

That I completely agree with. Typically, when a significant delay/cancellation is due to something under their control, they offer some form of good-will gesture (x% off certificate or $xxx domestic cert or X,000 miles... values depending on status of passenger). OP, did you check your email (incl. spam folder) for some automated message from United? Could be that the system didn't consider two hours significant enough to warrant compensation and didn't recognize the downstream impact. OP could write to customer service and ask for compensation. Personally I would just write it off as "stuff happens sometimes".

5. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No it was not due to weather and actually it was a group of us about 10 traveling together, so I'm guessing some ppl in the group may be 1k, well it took more than an hr just to get a hotel voucher (this was around 11pm) but speaking for myself, I do not fly often which is why I posted to ask if this was normal compensation.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In your original post you stated that you did not know the reason for the delay.....only that it was posted that the delay was due to a late incoming aircraft. Remember the late incoming aircraft could have been due to weather problems on earlier flights of that aircraft. So just because weather where the aircraft was coming from was fine does not mean the delay was not weather related.

7. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh ok, all I know was that Chicago and my final destination there was no weather problems (sunny) so I assume it the delay wasn't caused by weather and it did say "waiting for inbound aircraft" on the monitor