Question Regarding Citi Thank You Premier

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by corz123, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys. I'm new here so please go easy. In any case I just received this card and based on this article here hackmytrip.com/2012/04/04/thankyou-points-redux-1400-still-possible/ please let me know if what I'm planning to do is possible.

1) I'm going to go on a flight NY to CA with a friend on Southwest with his Rapid Reward Points in 2 weeks and we will pay for the $20 charge on my Citi Thank You card..
    2) My other friend will come from Costa Rica to NY on 7/1using her AA miles and I'll pay for her taxes/charges of $40 or so with the card as well.

Now based on my understanding of this article I believe should receive flight points for all 3 of these flights that will be converted to thank you points in July when I complete my spending requirement of $2500 and am awarded the original 50000 TY points bonus. Am I correct in my understanding? Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understood that flight points are awarded only for itineraries of the primary account holder. In your case, it would be just that one flight you're taking yourself. Also, the airline would have to forward the itinerary with your name to the ThankYou program. They may do it automatically when submitting the charge.

3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks :p. Is there any chance I may get credit for the other flights?

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Citi's TY program long before they came out with this Premier card. Originally they awarded those points mostly for various banking activities. There have been quite a few times when I received more or less points than I'd expected. The rules were never clear even to the bank reps, so you learn it by trial and error. When I got more points in a month than I'd expected, I would ask a bank rep what I'd done different during that month - so I can do more of it in the future.
    So based on my experience, there's always a chance you'll get more (or less) points than we think.

5. jamflyer

jamflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Flight points are awarded for all travelers not just the card holder. However unlike the old days, taxes as in this case must be atleast $50.00. In the past even purchases aboard a thankyou award flight would trigger the flightpoints. Sadly that loophole is no more.