Question: Redeemed Mileage Rebate from AA for CitiCard holders

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, May 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the "perks" for the new $95 Citi AA credit card is supposed to be that the primary AAdvantage number linked to the credit card qualifies for a monthly 10% rebate from AA of miles redeemed that month. Quick example, if you redeem 50,000 miles for two coach MilesAAver domestic tickets, AA takes 50,000 miles (duh) out of your account, but six to eight weeks after the end of that month, it rebates 5,000 back into it. Capped at 10,000 miles in rebates each calendar year.

As I read the rules, this perk also applies to many of us with the existing $85 AA/Citi "World Elite Platinum Level MasterCard"s, since our fees eventually are supposed to go to $95 anyway. Also as I read the rules, this perk is to start for April, 2012 (or, under a tighter reading, April 8 and later). And finally, I see no rule that you have to use that credit card as the one to pay the $10 per ticket T.S.A. fees, etc., on the free tickets.

All that said, here is my question and request:

For those of you who have the $85 cards, or folks who got the new $95 ones, are you seeing the rebate? It's probably a tad premature: April, the first qualifying month, ended less than a week ago and they say allow a 6-8 week waiting period after the end of the month.

But this thread is here and posted, so let's keep each other up-to-date about when rebates post, about missing amounts, how inquiries to the airline are handled, and so forth. Thanks.

I redeemed 50,000 miles on April 9, and haven't seen my 5,000 rebate yet. As I say above, it is too early to fret, but I decided to start the thread.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I made a 220K redemption and a 90K redemption last month, so I'll let you know when my rebate posts.

kansaskeith likes this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On 4/24 I did a 50K redemption - nothing yet.

Unfortunately, I may have to cancel the flight due to scheduling conflicts.

I did use the Citibank card for my fees. I just figured for the small number involved, I'd try to anticipate any potential compliance problems.

I do feel like the whole benefit is very informal. There's no mention of how it works or what the strict rules are. I wish the whole deal was more concrete.

kansaskeith likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your post.

If you cancel before departure to rebook on the same routing within the year, and thus are exempt from the redeposit fee or restocking or whatever it is called, the layman in me doesn't see why that would nullify your rebate. If you cancel and take the monetary penalty to redeposit your miles, then I suppose there could be an issue. And yes, the rules are not clear.

Yes, but here is at least one attempt they made at writing rules. Hardly as air-tight as some of their procedures, but maybe it at least shows they are making an attempt to avoid being "very informal."

For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles you earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles you can earn annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at www.aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.

5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying a Citibank 17,500 reduced mileage award right now and have a 125,000 and 60,000 redemptions booked normally coming up at the end of the month. I booked both near the end of April and I'll post updates if I see any credits post on either.

kansaskeith likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the info. Heading out on my first aaward flight since the new aspects have shown up. Got my Priority Boarding on the Boarding Pass (since I am lowly cardboard) Will keep an eye out for the rebate of points.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wednesday, May 9:

Look what posted overnight! Whee! So automatic it wasn't worth fretting about, at least in my case. :)

04/08/12 CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 5,000 0 5,000

wrxmom and miles and smiles like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    10K refund posted today.

9. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love this new benefit, can't wait to use it. All my travel since the benefit started has been paid travel thanks to the post megado promotion.

wrxmom likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My fear was that because it was new, there were going to be hassles and misunderstandings like what we had read about on the super-duper MasterCard introduced a few months back that was supposed to carry AAdmirals Club admission in addition to early boarding, free baggage check, etc. (To AA's credit, from the posts on here at least most of the hassles and misunderstandings have been cleared up, but I nevertheless worried we might have the same thing here.)

To be really honest, those 50,000 miles I redeemed in April were after the new benefit took effect, but before I even realized my existing AA (until now) $85 MasterCard qualified me. After I read the "fine print" that it did, I was pretty sure I would eventually get my 5,000 rebate, but thought it might take many weeks, phone calls, discussions, etc.

At least for two of us on here who have posted this morning, that worry was for naught, and AA and Citi have got their systems working. Martha S. would call that "a good thing." Thanks, AA!

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup - mine came too! No hassle. No Es either:

12. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, 10k has posted. No muss, no fuss.

miles and smiles and wrxmom like this.
  13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine posted also. :)

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. sheri826

sheri826 Member

Status Points:
    wow! this is great. I have a 80,000 miles flight coming up to Brussels.. . .it would be great to get 8,000 back!

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received my 10% rebate for a trip that I booked on April 30, but I actually won't fly until July. I didn't think I would get the rebate until after I had flown, but there it is in my account already. :)

wrxmom likes this.
  16. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does make for an interesting potential loophole no? I'm an EXP so I can cancel my flights and re-deposit those miles without penalty. If so, what happens to that 10,000 mile credit I have already hm?

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Give it a shot and let us know. ;)

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How is this a loophole? You are still limited to 10,000 mile rebate per year.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA is refunding the miles prior to travel taking place. So he's saying that theoretically he could book an award flight for December 2012 this month, receive the rebate next month, and then cancel the award ticket, thus getting back his miles AND having the 10K refund.

Again - theoretically. I'm willing to bet those miles will disappear somehow.

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I certainly would expect that to be true.

21. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention I only 'benefit' if I don't actually use the miles. Assuming of course that their system is definitely not going to give me another 10k for the next round :) I'd imagine they tested that though!

22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my second 5K. For the record, the second mileage redemption was greater than 50K, so their system definitely limits you. Good deal. I would have redeemed and held the credit card anyway.

kansaskeith likes this.
  23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine showed up this morning too. Brought me to the maximum 10K miles rebate for the year. Both times I had used my Hilton Amex, not the Citi, card for the T.S.A. fee to redeem the miles, noting the rules don't require one use the Citi card for the redemption to qualify for rebate. Anyway, AA's once-a-month rebate system seems to be working flawlessly, which I appreciate. Nice work, AA I.T.

24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - this second time, I didn't use my related Citi card either, and it didn't seem to be a problem.

25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would place a wager of any substational amount that you will see those miles deducted from your account by AA pretty soon.:)