Question re: upgrades on UA code CO metal flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JLSocks, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    New to flying on CO metal flights. Partner and I are booked on UA coded CO metal flights from ORD-FLL leaving tomorrow. Reservation booked on .bomb with UA Mileage Plus numbers, but switched to CO OnePass numbers after booking via the CO website. Both of us did the status match prior to reservation (Platinum and Gold now with CO).

Is there a way to see online that we're on the upgrade list (i.e., something like pulling up res on UA site and it saying "pending" or "waitlisted")? As of this morning, 24 hours before departure, we're still shown as being in Y. It appears from looking at the seat maps on CO.com that the F cabin is wide open and has been that way since the tickets were booked.

Is this the norm for upgrades on CO (i.e. waiting until 24 hour mark or airport control for upgrades rather than at elite upgrade mark)?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not see yourself on any lists until you are checked in for the flight.

On some routes it is more common for upgrades to be held back to the 24 hour window or the gate; on other routes it is more common for them to be processed farther out.

If you are on the same PNR you're less likely to get the upgrades than if you split it. This is a quirk/feature of the way CO's systems process the EUAs.

3. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I noticed later this morning when checking in that we had been upgraded at the 24 hour mark. Our return flight on Monday is still showing us in Y, so I guess this might be a route where they hold back the upgrades till the 24 hour mark).

Thanks for the PNR tip...We've historically booked ourselves on separate PNRs on domestic routes for better chances at the upgrade.