Question re: United MP Explorer MASTERCARD car insurance benefit

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Ed Chandler, Jun 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all

Here's another one that hasn't been answered, either by Chase or by Mastercard. Anyone know for certain?

I have the Chase United MP Explorer Mastercard (ordinarily a VISA) because it was converted from the old Continental OnePass Plus Mastercard. I know that the VISA version of this card offers "primary" rental car coverage. My question is whether the Mastercard version does as well ... or is it "excess" coverage?

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the Continental Presidential Plus MasterCard. It and the Continental OnePass Plus card both introduced primary CDW (same as LDW) coverage as of 2010 except in Israel, and Ireland I believe. MasterCard is good because it does New Zealand and Australia unlike Visa.

Also when you are traveling intl, you should buy liability coverage (different than CDW/LDW) if you want to be fully covered. You'd also need to purchase liability when renting in the US if you don't want a 2-party/car accident in the US to go to your normal auto insurance.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The original CO OnePass MasterCard had the primary insurance, and that they have carried over when they renamed it the Explorer card. I don't recall getting any changes of T&CS notification telling me otherwise.

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have the answer: After calling Chase and having them assure me it was primary coverage, I asked for a copy of the benefits guide anyway. It's secondary. Ugh, customer service. You get what you pay for.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a question that has kind of always bugged me... who are all these people that get rental coverage through a credit card? I guess people that don't drive or have liability only coverage?

I have a rather large multi-car policy with GEICO that covers everything, including rentals wherever I go.

6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ... and if the credit card coverage is secondary that makes perfect sense. If it's primary, then it kicks in before your insurance does ... perhaps obviating the need for a claim. That's all for damage to your vehicle of course, but to each his own.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The people who don't want to have use their own insurance when the rental agent upon return of the car claims that that little scratch needs a write-up? ;)