Question re: Timing of Spending Threshold Bonuses Chase/Citi

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Ed Chandler, Aug 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

Two quick questions:
    1. With the Chase United Explorer card, assuming you spend the $25k required for the 15k point bonus in a year, do those points post soon after you break the threshold or do they post at the close of the year?
    2. Same question, only with regard to the Citi Hilton Reserve card's free weekend night certificate.
    The Ts&Cs indicate that the spending requirement is calculated on a per-year basis, but not whether the bonus is accrued as soon as you make it, or at the end of the year.
    Thanks.

2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    They'll post shortly after the bill comes due for the month in which you hit the minimum spend. In the case of the Citi HH free nights you may have to contact them since a lot of people aren't seeing them post automatically.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly how it happens. I got the card in October last year, met the minimum spend at the end of November, and got the certificates on December 17, about a week after the closing of my statement for November. This is how the certs look like:

CITI REWARD.png

iolaire likes this.
  4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not talking about the two get for completing the original minimum spend. I'm talking about the one additional you get every year that you spend $10,000 or more with the card.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be the same process, unless it does not arrive at all, in which you'll need to call.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    No specific knowledge, but at least from reading the Points Guy's column, its a Calendar Year thing. Obvious question is whether you see it after you hit the $10k spend limit, or after the end of the year. Afraid I don't know. SM Citi about it?

7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was my original question. ;-)

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I SM'ed Citi since I would like to know the answer. I'll post here when I hear back. Personally I'd forgotten all about the extra night after $10k spend thing. Honestly, most of the annual bonuses at $30k and so forth are beyond my reach, but this one at $10k is pretty doable. 60 nights to hit Hilton Diamond at $165/night (low typical) gets me to $10k per year anyway. Maybe not this year since I applied for the card partway through. Will have to make a point of getting there, or at least doing the math to see if its worth it depending on what other stuff I have going near the end of the year. Anyway, appreciate the reminder.

9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yep, $40k for Diamond isn't worth it, but the $10k spend on this card is a no-brainer to me.

That $10k of spend earns a minimum of 30k Hilton points and a free weekend night cert. Since I don't stay at high-end properties, that works out to about two free nights -- a good return on investment and certainly worth the annual fee.

I'm open to arguments that there are better uses for that $10k of spend though.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like its not Calendar year at all, but your Anniversary Year, and it posts 6-8 weeks after you anniversary year ends, assuming you hit $10k in spend during that year.

Here's the response from Citi:

"At the end of each Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card account membership year (your membership year begins the date you became a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve cardmember and resets each year on that date), if you have made $10,000 in eligible purchases on the card during that membership year, you will earn one (1) weekend night certificate as an anniversary bonus.

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks from your membership anniversary date to receive your certificate."

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will say that figuring out if you've hit the $10k limit seems to be a pain. Unlike some others (Amex?) Citi doesn't offer you any way to show all spend in a period, so I guess you have to go through your statements to figure out your total spend in the year...

12. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or track everything in Quicken. :)

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, it looks I can do an export from Mint in CSV format so dump it in Excel and sum it up after excluding certain transaction types. So it looks doable.