Question re: Rescheduling final leg of a stopover w/ award flight

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Ed Chandler, Jul 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had luck getting a straight answer from the phone reps at AA or UA, but I admit that this is probably pretty obscure and perhaps out of their depth. Thus, I bring it to you (all). Rather than explain it all conceptually, I'll try to do it in terms of specific(ish) examples followed by questions:

Scenario:
    I schedule an award flight, ORD -> LHR outbound and LHR -> JFK(stopover) -> ORD on the return.

Question 1:
    Is it possible to extend my stopover at JFK, and if so what is the dollar cost for the change (no status)? Answers for both AA and UA, please.

Question 2:
    I believe (admitting that I could be wrong) that all legs of an award flight must be flown (not booked) within one year of booking (not flying the first leg). If that is the case, and my stopover extension would cause the final leg to be pushed out beyond that 1 year mark, what is the consequence? Is that leg simply cancelled or is there a provision for this sort of thing?

I'm thinking broadly in terms of the "free oneway" strategy and need to know exactly how much flexibility I have on scheduling that final leg and changing that schedule if/when necessary.

Thanks in advance.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. It's just a date change for the last segment. So those rules apply, depending on your status, etc., for fees. Award availability would be needed to make the change.

2. The standard is one year after ticketing, but you need to read the carrier's T&C carefully. The ticket for the last segment becomes invalid at this time. If you're concerned about the very slight chance of being assessed a penalty for missing the last flight of your award ticket, check whether an open jaw RT of ORD-LHR outbound and LHR-JFK return would be bookable for the same miles if inventory is available.

3. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be wrong. If you have not started the trip, the award ticket is valid within a year after the date of ticket issuance. No change fee if the routing is the same. If the trip had started, I believe you can not change the date at all unless all your flights are solely on UA (which I gather not since UA doesn't fly from LHR-JFK anymore).

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, guys. LHR -> JFK was just an example.