Question re flying BA and getting AA Status miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Art234, Mar 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We're going to Germany end of April to pick up the new wheels. BA had the best discounted business class fare. I'm working with BMW's travel agent, who is booking us on BA directly. The question is if we do this, will the miles accrued on AA count as status BIS miles? Or do I absolutely need to book codeshare through AA's website?

Also--do we get advance seat assignment on BA in business?

Thanks in advance.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, if you have your AA number on the reservation the miles will count toward status on AA even though the flight is designated as BA, but perhaps not toward the 10,000 needed to earn 500-milers (that seems to vary).

Can't say about the seat reservations.

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from a trip to LHR flying on BA ticket stock (and BA metal). I received Elite Qualifying Points and Elite Qualifying Miles and 2 segment accruals for both J-fare segments. Hope that helps.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You definitely can earn AA status credit on BA code/metal. You'll earn based on the BA charts. Pay attention to consolidator/unpublished fares as those might not earn, but otherwise you should be fine.

For advance seat assignments only flex fares or BA elites are supposed to get it from what I'm reading. I don't know if OW elites can get it as well.

5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The fare matches what's on the AA website, so I'd assume it's a standard fare. Also in Business it does give me the option to pick seats, so I'd say its a safe bet.
    On the 744 I assume we should want to be upstairs correct?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is it asking you to pay to pick? You could always assign seats; the charge to do so is what annoyed so many. ;)

7. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've qualified on AA the last two years with mainly BA flights. I also can confirm that the miles counted towards the 10K for upgrades. And also that, at least as a lowly oneworld ruby, you'll have to pay to pick seats.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In business class they want to charge to pick seats? I didn't see a charge attached to it.
    Thanks for the heads up!

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have a fully flexible ticket, typically yes.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of BA the only airline on the planet that charges business class pax to select seats :rolleyes:

blackjack-21, mht_flyer and flyforawg like this.
  11. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's great. Earns money for the airline and helps keep the riff-raff out of the good seats. Win, win.