Question re: flight changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by maradori, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Continited forumers, I come asking a question

I bought a MIA-IAH-LAX-OGG-HNL-EWR-MIA-IAH-SFO flight a while ago on CO.com for $570.21. Unfortunately, my "positioning" flight (SFO-CLT-MIA) was on a separate PNR on US and went mechanical, so rather than possibly being stranded in MIA, I chose to deplane. I went home and cancelled the CO ticket. I shortly received an e-mail as follows

Learning a very painful lesson about booking "ambitious" MRs without sufficient backup plans, I think I'm going to stick with doing $300 r/t transcons for the next little while. I'm worried that if I'm able to find and book a $300 r/t transcon ticket, what will happen with the remaining value of my cancelled flight? Is it available for another ticket (ew, does that mean I pay 2 change fees?), or is it forfeit?

Would anybody be able to shed some light on this for me? What's the best way to handle this stored value?

Thanks!

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You pay the change fee of $150 and are left with residual value of $420.41 on your ticket. In my experience, you can't use half of it and bank the rest for later, but have to use it all up in one transaction. It can also only be applied to one ticket in your name (eg, can't use it for your spouse's ticket).

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO TCVs absolutely do have residual value and can be used for any passenger. The original rebooking must be done in the name of the original passenger but any residual value that is issued as a TCV can be redeemed for any customer to travel.

4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so the bit about using the residual value for another passenger is new to me and good to know. Is my recollection that it must be used in a single transaction accurate? If not, then I'm probably confusing experiences with other airlines.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They used to not have residual value. It changed a couple years ago.