Question re: EXP Status Qualification for Flying Using Amex MR Points

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KenInEscazu, Feb 5, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have enough Amex MR points to cover a Business/First trip from Colombia to the USA. Doing so will save me a big expense on one of this year's trips, but I'm not sure about EQM earnings.

If these tickets earn the same as a paid ticket, then I want to use those points for my next booking. Amex claims that the tickets earn miles, but doesn't specify that they will qualify for elite status. There was a huge uproar last year or the year before with UA flyers booking through Amex Travel when they discovered that those tickets were counted as "bulk" fares and didn't count toward status. Those were actually paid tickets purchased through that agency.

If the tickets don't count toward status, then I will either wait until I achieve status renewal or find another use for the points. Any feedback shared here from someone having experience with these tickets will be greatly appreciated. It's probably somewhere on one of their sites, but I sure can't find it. The question stumped the last agent I spoke to.

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone is interested, I have my answer. MR award tickets do count toward elite status just like any paid ticket. :)

Counsellor likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use the AmEx "pay with points" option they count but that's usually a crappy use of those points. The value is a penny per and often you can do better transferring to a partner and redeeming a traditional award.

Also, those "bulk" tickets still counted for PQMs on UA, just not PQDs.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check into the conversion. I may still opt to use them if I get the 30% point rebate for which I think my card qualifies, but I'll definitely do more research now before proceeding.

I like the idea of earning around 18,000 EQMs, carrying my 4 bags, not relying on a CPU or using an SWU - all for no money out of pocket, but as a pragmatist, I definitely want to make the best financial choice. Seems like I have researched this for over a year without finding any temptation. Still, it's always worth a second look before making such a big exchange.

Errors of judgement aren't beyond my capacity, however, with two divorces in the history books. ;) I have so many miles that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to burn them all without losing status, anyway. If this reads like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, I am. I'm just not sure what to do.

You are right about the PQDs on UA. What I remembered was a thread of a thousand pages filled with people having written about feeling ripped off. Those folks were very extraordinarily angry. A load of PQMs with no PQDs are status-worthless on UA. My primary goal here is to avoid a similar result. That obviously doesn't apply on AA.

Food for thought - Always appreciated. Especially when I'm not in an urgent situation to make a choice.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did end up using the points for a ticket. Saved me nearly $1400, plus they reimbursed 30% of the points. They are currently offering 1.5 points/dollar on charges of $5000+ on my card, so I'll soon have enough to do it again.

I view this card as beneficial for its combination of Priority Pass membership, entry into the Centurion Lounge, better-than-average insurance on auto rentals and peace of mind in having no preset limit. I looked for other methods of redemption, but saving the money combined with earning EQMs was a big plus for me. I really couldn't find anything else they offer that I want.

The feedback is greatly appreciated. I looked carefully and feel very comfortable now that this is an incremental benefit that I'll enjoy the most of their current offerings.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the new EQDs added next year, I'm curious now about how these MR Award tickets will count at AA. Will they follow the UA model on this, too?

I found some muddy verbiage about various fares that may not count, but like the United site, it doesn't specify which fares will be excluded. I sure don't want to learn this the hard way. IME, the EXP desk agents can't be relied upon to provide accurate information about a lot of things.

Can anyone here provide an inside scoop on what (if any) official policy has yet been determined about AmEx tickets purchased with AmEx points specifically? I'm going to easily have enough for a couple of trips from South America to the USA. Having already qualified for 2017 EXP, I'm currently flying Copa to boost that status and avoid MIA. Burning AA and UA points for my domestic travel once there.