Question re Cruise from Southampton

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Steven Schwartz, Oct 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will be boarding the Queen Mary 2 on August 27 for a cruises to New York. We are spending a week or so in Scotland prior to the trip and plan on flying to London on the 26th. So, a few questions:

1. Where to stay? Will probably take a morning flight to London. By the time we get thru the airport, I imagine we really won't have a lot of time to do any sightseeing in London. No problem - been there a few times before. But the question is should we stay in London or should we think of staying closer to where the ship leaves from.

2. What airport? I guess that's based on the answer to the above. Seems LCY would be a good choice if staying in town while the others would be best if going straight to Southampton area.

3. How to get there? Taxi from airport to London is easy. Any ideas how best to get to Southampton? We'll have a bit of luggage so would prefer not shlepping through trains and buses.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

mht_flyer and MX like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a guy who I have used to be picked up at LHR and driven down to Southampton - he is reliable and has lots of room for luggage in his Mercedes Van-thing. If interested start a conversation with me and I can send you his phone number so you can text him for information.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    MX likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have also stayed at the Hilton Southampton ... while not stellar it was adequate and good for a night - it is not in the centre of Southampton however so you would not be doing alot of sightseeing on foot from that hotel.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you fly into LHR - do not take a taxi to London - take the Heathrow Express train - you can get tickets on the web from here before you go and it is somewhat cheaper.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might be able to get Cunard to arrange transportation. From their FAQ:

Can Cunard arrange my Ground Transfers?

Planning how to get to and from your voyage can be challenging. However, Cunard offers a range of options† to connect you to your ship — motorcoach service, private sedan or limousine — so you need not worry about a thing! Even your luggage is handled for you.

At the beginning and end of each sailing, Cunard’s Transfer programme offers convenient connections between the port and local airports. In New York and Southampton, we also arrange service to key regional train and bus terminals. Options available for your voyage will be detailed in your preliminary travel documents — contact your Travel Agent or Cunard at (800) 728 - 6273 to pre-arrange these on your behalf.

† Transfer options may vary by port and sailing date; please refer to preliminary documents for specific offerings on your voyage.

If you are former U.S. military you can get some extra shipboard credit from Cunard.

http://www.cunard.com/campaigns/military-cruise-benefit-programme/?id=3934