question re Avios for hotel booking

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by travelpye, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    In January, I used Avios via BA web site to make a hotel reservation. I was not able to add my Hilton HH number during booking process. I had wanted to do so in order to keep my multiple reservations at this hotel (family vacation) in one place to review. I thought that would be no problem and that I would be able to contact Hilton and have them add the HH number; but Hilton cannot find the reservation.

After booking, I received a voucher to present the hotel on arrival.

So...since I normally book direct with a hotel, I am not familiar with the voucher process.
    Is this to be expected that Hilton cannot find the reservation?

I know most don't feel that using Avios in this way is the best use of points, but I opted to do that as I have no plans in 2013 nor tentative plans for 2014 in which Avios for booking flights would be helpful. And I hate to hang on to them longer term, given I do have a need for multiple hotel rooms in Hawaii this August.

2. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used Avios to book a couple of nights at a Crowne Plaza and emailed the hotel to add my Priority Club number to the booking. They replied saying they had done it and were looking forward to seeing us.
    I just gave them my name and dates without the Avios booking reference. I would try getting in touch with the Hilton again if I were you.

Using Avios for hotel bookings isn't necessarily poor value....our nights are for midweek when rates are high so the savings were worth it.

travelpye likes this.
  3. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. I will try with Hilton again.
    Did you have a voucher to give the hotel when you arrived?

4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I printed the voucher off the "Bookings made with Avios" link found on the BAEC home page after you log-in.

5. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I have the voucher, but have not used one before. I am glad to learn you had no issues.

6. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    just following up to share my experience with using BA for hotel booking using Avios.

I booked a Hilton hotel in Waikiki with my Avios. At end of booking process, I found I had a voucher to present to hotel and no confirmation number corresponding to the ones used by Hilton.

I have asked Hilton to add my HH number to reservation as I am traveling with family and actually have additional rooms booked at same hotel. Hilton reports they cannot find the reservation for me. This has been case with multiple inquiries, both when I contacted them with just my name and dates of stay and when I provided all details from BA booking to Hilton.

I imagine my booking is just fine and that I will show up in Hawaii with my voucher and will have a room, but I am uneasy that Hilton still cannot find the reservation for me now after multiple inquiries.

My next step will be to either follow up with BA booking agency regarding booking, which must be done via telephone to UK number (I am in US) or simply cancel this reservation made through BA and book another room at the hotel with my HH points.

Anyway, just FYI

7. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are the leading name on the booking then there shouldn't be a problem unless for some reason they haven't released your details to Hilton.

travelpye likes this.
  8. sooryudu

sooryudu New Member

Status Points:
    I am in a similar situation :

• Booked with Avios to stay in NYC for 2013 holiday period - Xmas- New yr week at a Hyatt property
    • BA sent confirmation
    • Hyatt can't find it
    • BA says my reservation will not be forwarded to Hyatt till just 3 days prior to start of my stay !
    • Asked them what if the hotel is sold out by then- was told Hyatt "blocks" certain # of rooms for them
    • So I have to wait till just 3 days prior to start of my trip to find out from Hyatt if they do have my reservation!!
    Any help with similar situation from any one especially travelpye GREATLY appreciated
    Thanks

iolaire likes this.
  9. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used avios to stay at hyatt grand cypress. It books as a wholesale rate. As mentioned, hyatt had a hard time finding m reservation, though I think they were finally able to. I tried to apply a suite upgrade and was told I was not a qualifying rate so it was not eligible. Once on property, all diamond amenities applied though.

For me, it was a good redemption. Alternative was losing the avios.

10. sooryudu

sooryudu New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - that make me less anxious now

11. josh.davis

josh.davis Member

Status Points:
    Funny system BA operate with Hilton...

I had a reservation in Berlin booked as a flights and hotels package with BA (not avios). Was checked in without problem, found my reservation details etc., but had no record of me having pre-paid through BA.

Had to pay (again) at checkout, which led to fx and overseas transaction fees. Hilton were very quick to refund the price of the reservation, but the refund also incurred more fx and overseas transaction fees. Quite a lot of additional expense.

12. josh.davis

josh.davis Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, I think it's quite unusual for HHonours to award points if you have booked via a third party i.e. BA.com, booking.com, expedia etc.