question re. Asiana coupons

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by Thomask, Apr 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an Asiana coupon saying 5000 miles discount (available for seat upgrade or mileage ticket issue) Expiration period: 2014-04-28 -- 2015-04-27

My question.: Can I use this coupon before April 27 (make the reservation) for a award flight or an seat upgrade after April 27th? Anyone experienced?

2. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used two of those coupons last year just before they were about to expire. My memory was that it's a 10,000 mile coupon, but maybe that's because I'm Diamond Plus. Anyways, I used one for an international award getting the 10,000 mile discount, and I used another for a free domestic award ticket, being domestic awards are 10,000 miles, given I only wanted to book one single international award ticket at that time. I flew the international award ticket already, but I've postponed the domestic ticket (R/T to Jeju) three times already, due to various things that came up each time. By the time I fly it, the coupon would have expired about 18 months prior to that, and there was no issue at all. In fact I thought those types of tickets only have a 1-year validity, but I guess each time I change it they reissue it and give me another year.

I don't really need to make the trip, but I just hated to see the 10,000 mile coupon go to waste, being I don't ever purchase upgrades with my miles. I don't know, maybe just as a sort of game I'll just keep extending the ticket and see how long I can do it for. It would be kind of fun if I end up just extending in continuously and then finally fly it in say 25 years from now. Wonder if there's any record about how long someone's had a ticket issued before they actually flew it.

Anyways, if you use it for an award ticket, you'll have to actually book and purchase the ticket before the deadline. For upgrades, I don't know but presume you'd need to do something similar.

3. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I will do as you suggested. I plant o visit an OZ ticket office tomorrow. I also have the 10000 miles one (or 50% off seat upgrade) but that one will not expire till the end of the year. What routes have you found the best deal redeeming miles? (giving you the best value for the award miles... I find Seoul - Yanji a good one as you only earn 390 miles but the ticket almost always costs at least 500$ return.

4. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a mileage hoarder. At one point I had about 5 million miles in my various FFP accounts (back in the days of BD and their very generous FFP). I still have a couple million, and typically only spend miles if they're about to expire or if something comes up where it really makes sense to use them, or I just want to fly in F. Generally I redeem miles for long-haul F, in which case I feel they're all good value, and about the same, being those tickets are typically upwards of US$10,000 for full-fare F. I've never in my life redeemed miles for a Y ticket, but I suppose if I had some orphaned miles and needed to fly some expensive short-hop they'd be a reasonable use of the miles.

Thomask likes this.