Question re 100K PQD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by emilyep, Dec 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. emilyep

emilyep Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a bit shy of PQD needed to get to 100k. I have the waiver for platinum but is there any way to get PQD besides for flying somewhere before end of year? Thanks much.

2. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    nope not to 1K. you can use rewards accumulator as well, but that is only done against a flight.

3. emilyep

emilyep Active Member

Status Points:
    Right so that won't give me any PQD, right? And thank you.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No way to earn PQD other than flying a paid ticket that I'm aware of.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paying for E+ and such will earn as well, but if you already have plat, that's not really an option.

6. emilyep

emilyep Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may or may not help, but as I understand it the PQD criterion is not applied if your address is outside the United States. Can you "move" before the end of the year and get the account address changed in time?

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't do this unless you can legitimately prove you live at the address you plan to put in the system. Besides the part where it is fraud there are many, many reports of UA checking up on such moves to stop people from cheating.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should just live with Platinum status and not do anything difficult, expensive or foolish to get there. The GPUs and extra RPUs are nice, but Platinum gets you the same travel day experience that 1K gets when upgrades are not available for whatever reason. Use the money you've saved to buy upgrades.

bmg42000 and Pizzaman like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How much is "a big shy" ?

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that the OP talks about using the waiver for Platinum I would suspect a "big shy" is accurate.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think, though, that most 1Ks are a big shy of the 100k PQD in the thread title. :)

8MiHi likes this.
  14. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't United Club memberships count towards PQD? it'd be a total waste of money, but depending on how "short" of the spend you are that could be one way.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi likes this.
  16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one aspect of elite status $mi/J and his cronies did NOT copy from SkyPesos RBS frequent flyer program is that there is no waiver of the $12K spending requirement for US resident 1Ks. Delta exempts all of its elite levels from an annual spend requirement threshold for each status tier so long as a minimum $25,000 is charged on one of the Delta branded American Express credit card.

1K status is very much worthwhile, especially if you are an international traveler for whom the GPUs can be very useful, so making a PQD short trip run could be worthwhile.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    8MiHi likes this.
  17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we're talking about a single weekend MR with no significant personal obligations that might get in the way to get there, I would do it because I love flying and going to new places. If it was much more complex than that, however, I'd have to say no. The phrase "a bit shy" implies that that may be the case. So maybe emilyep should find a nice trip over a weekend if that would get the job done, especially if a significant other can tag along.

18. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I concur. If one enjoys travel or is not inconvenienced, then a quick trip to attain status is worthwhile. One suggestion is to fly on a ticket which departs and returns on the same day.

8MiHi likes this.
  19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Slight disagreement here. I was a 1K the last few years and dropped to Plat because I didn't meet the PQM requirement (blew PQDs out of the water). I thought I would miss it more, but GPUs was the only thing I can honestly say I missed a little (I haven't had great success redeeming them, so don't value them as highly as others).

I think PLT is pretty close in value to 1K with the exception of the GPUs, which I understand are valued differently by various folks.