Question on REALLY high award rates

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jmrich1432, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Sydney is a category 7 hotel. When I do a search for one night with dates around NYE it comes up at 50,000 points per night with NYE blocked out. Same thing with 2 night search. When I do a 3 night search it starts showing NYE as available, but with a "cost" of 273,000+ points PER NIGHT. Why is it showing the dates around NYE at 50,000 and then when NYE is included EACH night jumps to 273,000 points??

Total points needed for award checking in on 12/29 for 2 nights: 100,000
    Total points needed for award checking in on 12/29 for 3 nights: 821,823

I get that NYE in Sydney is a premium time, I'm just confused as to why it jumps THAT much. Why not block it out for awards? I thought the award rate was the award rate? This is the first time I've seen this so if anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it!

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe something to do with demand or Hilton believes that they doing the right thing by charging this super high amount of hard earned points! Over 820.000 points for 3 nights.....that's a little bit much in my view, new years eve included or not!:eek:

JLSocks and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it is A LOT! I have 247,558 hhonors points and to buy enough points to make up the difference (562,901) they want $16,087.03! WHAT?!

I don't know what they're smoking to think anyone would do this.... at $800/night it's a better deal to pay. Either way I'm not planning on staying there, I was just playing around with the system and was wondering why it was pricing this way. Still curious if anyone knows.....

JLSocks and uggboy like this.
  4. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I chalk this new "enhancement" to book premium reward rooms as a silent devaluation of the program, especially for Diamonds.

uggboy, jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Err..... members have been imploring HH for years to allow them to guarantee an upgraded room on an award now they got what they asked for.... sure some of the asking numbers are crazy but there might be some crazy people willing to pay those amounts. Provided HH are desirous of making those rooms available and there are no takers then
    logic would suggest a downward revision, No? .. am not sure how you can say this as devaluation?
    You are being offered something that wasnt previously available.. it your decision to decide if its worth it.

One can still in many instances get a room at the old award value and some instances I have seem like an Executive
    Rome view level floor with access to the Imperial lounge at the Cavalieri is worth in IMHO the additional 20k or so points.

uggboy likes this.
  6. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it were typically an additional 20k points or so per night extra for a "premium" room, it wouldn't be a problem. What I've seen and many others have seen looking for award bookings in various cities is that the premium room pricing is often double or more over the standard room reward rate to get a so-called "premium" room or executive level room. That is just crazy, overly inflated pricing for a room that may be on a higher floor or a corner room with a few extra amenities.

It's definitely a devaluation for Diamond members because if a standard room wasn't available previously, the Diamond desk would do a Diamond force with the hotel to open up space for you at the standard rate, and then as a diamond member we typically got the upgraded room type anyway. With the recent "enhancement", that has disappeared, and we're now being asked to spend double or more for a so-called "premium" room.

uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lets just get this correct;
    1) The HH Diamond Special request for award rooms have on been a published benefit to Diamonds for about three years and I suspect HH can tothe conclusion that it was as too expensive and a failed experiment.
    2) Previous to that it was an unpublished benefit for perhaps three or four year previous. Very few members knew about or even took advantage of it. Even after it was made public on hilton.com ( and you can read that on most of the boards) many have never used the benefit and have no clue what it entails.
    And the only guarantee that HH gave Diamonds was the abililty to secure a room in most hotels (on non-blackout dates) with 48 hours at a PAID rate of the order of the rack rate.
    3) I put it you you that in most instances that the increased awards are listed there are no longer avialble standard rooms.. so whats different? only the ability to make a Special request.

The question of upgades is irrelevant in this discussion since there is no evidence that Diamonds are not being upgraded since this started to be instituted.

One other thing here it seems to be a common misconception that the DD can force a hotel to open a room for a HH member which is not at all incorrect.

uggboy likes this.
  8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless how long it's been a published or unpublished benefit, losing the benefit is a devaluation

Yes, exactly, taking away the Diamond Force is a devaluation. (Since pay-with-points was introduced I've also seen where standard rooms were available for rent but not available for HHonors points and only "upgrade" rooms were available for 2-3x HHonors and rent, but that's another topic)
    Agreed, the force wasn't guaranteed, but had a high fulfillment percentage.

uggboy likes this.
  9. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto and Thanks...you beat me to the punch with a response.

uggboy likes this.
  10. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you book the two reward nights for 100k and then pay $800 for NYE? That would seem like the optimum combo given the options you mentioned.

gomike and uggboy like this.
  11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Perfect example of the inflated award requirements is the Hilton Paris. Looking at the end of July 2012 and they want over 105K PER NIGHT for a "King Guest Room Plus". This room has the exact same description as the normal King Guest Room. If you want a King Deluxe Room, the rate increases to 112K per night.

Diamond or not, asking over twice the normal going rate for a "King Plus" room is insane.

gomike, JLSocks, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  12. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, unfortunately if NYE is included in the reservation there is a 3 night minimum regardless of whether it's an award or paid stay. I would be willing to spend more than 50k points per night since it's a very crowded time in SYD, I just think 270k points per night is insane! It's almost 5.5x the normal rate!

gomike, JLSocks and uggboy like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

gomike and jmrich1432 like this.
  14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did a little more looking at the ADT availability. Using the flexible dates, I searched from April 2012 through December 2012. Guess what! There was no 2 day period where standard rooms were available. This is very hard (read impossible) to believe.

Have sent an email to Hilton (on TOBB) asking about the situation. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... I just put in the dates of April 10-15 for the ADT .. saw avalibility at the normal 50k rate and went through the entire booking process except for the final confirmation.
    Didnt bother to check any other dates.:)

uggboy likes this.
  16. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have sent messages to flyertalk@hilton.com etc. and they seem to be changing the availability for 2012. Now there are numerous dates, but not all, in mid to late 2012 that have standard availability. For the dates I want, 3 of 4 days are now available for the 50K per night. What does upset me is that they have the Hilton contact said they would get back to me but nothing has been sent to me.

It would be nice if Hilton was to keep communications open so I would not have to check on what is happening.

Update: Received email from the Diamond desk with confirmation of my reservation for "normal" point values. Seems like most nights in the later part of 2012 now show "standard" availability however many still require over 100K per night.

uggboy likes this.