Question on One Way Car Rental

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ezb, Apr 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a car rental from Alamo using points I had earned on AAdvantage. AAdvantage has the restriction in place that you can only pickup and drop off car in same place.

Since I booked, my travel plans have changed. I now need to pickup in PHX and drop off in LAS.

I can't cancel the reservation with AAdvantage without incurring a $150 fee to restore my miles [which is not worth the 13K miles I used].

And Alamo won't quote me the drop-off charge since I did not book the reservation with them!

Q: can anyone here hazard a guess at what the one-way drop off charge would be?

B1BomberVB likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you can't meet the terms of your existing reservation, and Alamo has not agreed to fix it for you with a drop-off charge. If you're not clear how Alamo would handle your change of plans, get that clarified first. It's pointless to guess -- you need an agreement with Alamo before you proceed.

I'd also suggest you get a few competing quotes for the one-way rental you require.

B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  3. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alamos response was that they could not quote me a rate until I had picked up the car!

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you pick up a car under your existing contract, you will lose all leverage with Alamo. You will then have to abide by the terms or violate the contract and be subject to their mercy (meaning they'll likely stick you with a new one-way rental contract of their choice).

At this point you have a choice to go with Alamo or another agency, which you can use as leverage in amending the terms. So if you get a bizarre response as the one you mentioned, hang up and call another agent or ask to speak to their supervisor. Before you do that though, research your options and competing quotes.

ezb, B1BomberVB and HiIslands like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. Many Rental Car companies in Arizona can come with limitations on taking the car out of the State. That may be what ezb is running up against.

ezb likes this.
  6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    ezb and MX like this.
  7. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried the "call back and get a different" rep tactic, but I get the same response every time. Rules is rules and they are sticking to their guns on this one. I just find it unfortunate that they are unable, or unwilling, to quote me a price, or even just give me a rough estimate. A range of prices... a friggin' ballpark!
    Oh well, like I said I only used 13K AA miles to book it and would rather just eat the miles than be stuck with an outrageous one way fee. CapitalOne points allow for one way car rentals so I may rebook with them.

MX likes this.