Question on manufactured spend now the VRs are gond...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tulane09, May 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I just got approved for the 100,000 Aadvantage Citi card and need to manufacture most of the $10,000. Is it really as simple as buying Visa/Amex gift cards at grocery stores/CVS/online, walking to the counter at Walmart and getting a money order?

Does walmart have a limit on the size of the money order? Can I buy 10 cards of $500 and add them all to the same one?

Also, how do you load cash cards into bluebird using Walmart?

Sorry to sound like a newb but VRs were so easy, got spoiled

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries. Everyone starts as a "noob."

I think, perhaps, your question about money orders is out of place if your workflow is CC -> VGC -> BB.

As for limits, I'd urge you to start small until you find your boundaries. It raises costs a little, but not much in the grand scheme of things. There are hard limits to the size of money orders you can purchase and the number of split transactions you can do. You also need to consider the "soft" limits of what individual cashiers will tolerate without getting confused or suspicious. (You do not want to be *that* guy.)

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is really as simple as going to Simon Mall buying a 500 VISA GIFT. CARD putting a PIN number on it going to KROGER getting a 500 money order and depositing it in your checking account.

20 time in the next 90 days..

One bite at a time,

I was paid $1.00 an hour as a kid in the 50s, and wondered how long it would take me to work a million hours...

Lot of stores, lot of cashiers, keep a positive thought many of us have done far more...operating on other peoples money..

Next thing you will be asking, can I apply for another card.,,

Just Do it....

KrissyK90 and tulane09 like this.
  4. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I have plenty of cards. Not a noob. Just new to manufactured spend not called vanilla reload. Checking account or bluebird works.

So just order cards from simon mall.com?

Anyone got money orders at Safeway or giant using visa gift cards?

Do Amex cards work as we'll?

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I said VISA for a reason, you must know the rules. No Amex.

I say Simon because they are 5.00 for a 1,000,

I like to go to Simon Mall, and see the merchandise,

I can only tell you like ED start small this is your first step.

Take your time, no rush...READ what others post, they have been there, and consider the source...Read between the lines, and use your big head..

Over on Flyer Talk the have some great advice on MS.

Again use your head, above your shoulders, and think.

There are many way to get the 10k spend. I prefer real spend, and 3 months should be no problem for anyone that has the card.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Serve and Amazon Payments are good for $1000 a month with no fees. Do both for 3 months and you have $6000 in spend taken care of.

Efilon87 likes this.
  7. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually buy a few $500 OneVanilla cards and either load them on my 2 BB cards via the ATM MoneyMachine at Walmart or go up to the Money Center Counter and ask them to load it. If I run out in a month and need more spend then I will buy MO's with them. You can get up to $2500 at a time before they ask you to fill out an info sheet.

I have usually done $2000 and then placed them in the bank the next day. I tell the the MoneyCenter person that I am going to do 4 $500 debit card swipes. They have to type in the amount in their computer each time so make sure to tell them that. You can only purchase $1000 at a time so you actually get 2 $1000 money orders for $0.70 each.

At first I was a bit worried about putting a few thousand in the bank a month but I figured I am doing nothing wrong and if they ask what I was doing I would just tell them haha

I don't think I would put more than $2-3K a month though. (that is just my comfort level)

Now that it is a little more expensive to MS I only do it to meet spend limits (like 3 Exec cards haha)

tulane09 likes this.
  8. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live next to a Safeway and work above my Bank of America. Only planning on doing enough to meet minimum spend. So $1000 a week or so. Looking to buy VGCs and MOs at Safeway and just deposit at ATM or at counter.

Will that work? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I could do walmart but it's out of the way for me.

9. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my experience that would not be a problem, especially since you could do Amazon Payment with 1 of those weeks.

10. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me I find OneVanilla's easiest because there is a CVS on the way home from work to buy them from and the pin is set with whatever you type in during your first (only) purchase so there is no need to call or go online. Don't have a Safeway near me so I don't know what type of GCs they have but that is what I like.

11. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried the Safeway by me. No go, only cash for money orders. Next up Giant.

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So we can still purchase OneVanillas with a CC, just not Vanilla Reload, is that correct?

KrissyK90, gconnery and TUMD like this.
  13. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. Just bought $5K worth a few days ago to complete my last AA Exec card spend.

KrissyK90 and gconnery like this.
  14. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Struck out at Giant too. Anyone know any other cheap MO places for debit, other than Walmart? I can do walmart but I'd have to save up a few thousand (which I'd rather not) as it's about 45 minutes away.

Looks like post office might work?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kroger in my area..Just send me your cards...and I will take care of them....:)

16. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No Kroger unfortunately. Started small like you said, only one $50 card right now.

gconnery likes this.
  17. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may want to try that same Safeway more than once. Take note of which teller you used each time if you can. Or at least if you eventually find somebody who says "okay". For example in trying to buy the $0 PayPower card at Safeway over and over again, since I'm in one particular Safeway a lot (next to the Hyatt House I stay at frequently), I just bring one to the cash and try it. If they say "cash only" I just say okay no problem and they put it aside. If they let me buy it I buy it. At a Lucky's near me I've kept track of which cashiers allow and which don't allow cash for purchases. If the register isn't coded to block it (they aren't) then its all a question of the cashier.

MX likes this.
  18. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow...the friendliness and helpfulness (seriously) of this thread is so refreshing. A similar question on the 'other' forum would likely have been met with disdain and snarkiness.

Pizzaman likes this.
  19. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have luck at the post office?

20. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know with a $50.00 card, pay the boy who mows your lawn.

I often pay the help with gift cards, and staple the receipt to the card, many repair guys love cash..

If you are having trouble with $50 imagine how many it will take for 10k, move up to 500 and get some skin in the game, if you are going to play.

No the PO will not take debit cards.

Amazon will get you $1,000,00, Serve will get you 1,000.00
    Think, and do it...

It is so easy to fail, anyone can fail, success takes planing...

21. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per this website says PO does take debit... https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Edit: link not working.. copied below from USPS

Domestic & International Money Orders

A safe and cost-effective way to pay—from any Post Office™.

Money Order Features

Postal Money Orders are…

• Always valid—they never expire.
    • Available in values up to $1,000 each if sending within the United States and $700 each if sending abroad.
    • Cashable in 29 countries.Which countries?
    • Can also be cashed or negotiated at your bank and other financial institutions.
    • May be replaceable if damaged, lost, or stolen. Just hold on to your purchase receipt.
    What do money orders cost?

$0.01 to $500.00 .......................$1.25
    $500.01 to $1,000.00 ................$1.65
    Postal Military Money Orders…..$0.35 (issued by military facilities)
    International Money Orders…… $4.50

What do you need to buy one?

Cash, debit card, or traveler's check for payment.

More Info:

Accepting Money Orders ›

Replacing Money Orders ›

Anyone have any experience?

22. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just do it, nothing will get done till you get off the duff.

Are you a Talker, Dreamer, or do you just get it done....

Less than 3% retire with any real money in the country...

20% make 80% of the money...

Where do you will end up.

Yes

I have experience.

Tomorrow will you still be holding your $50.00 gift card...

KrissyK90 and gconnery like this.
  23. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you have experience trying a debit card at the post office?

I don't need a philosophy class here. I can go read Plato anytime.

Of course there are many options in terms of manufactured spend. I'm asking specific questions geared toward MOs right now, and you're giving broad answers that don't actually answer anything.

thegrailer likes this.
  24. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never ask for a money order at the post office.

I think TIME is moving on without you, and will take you $50.00 gift card, and charge some gas, if you have a GC.

Reading between the lines, you have no CC, or GC.

Anyone can turn a GC in 5 days, you started this thread 5 days ago..

Is this a joke?

25. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Troll much?

Anyway, it's not about turning $50 in to cash one time, it's about finding a reliable way to turn a few thousand/month in to cash. The $50 is what I'm using to test different Money Order venues. I already do Amazon Payments. I don't have a walmart close to me. So I'm looking for advice on MO's. I used to do VR's $5,000/mo but that is no longer. MO's with GC's seem to be the best bet for larger MS nowadays. Looking for guidance not philosophy. Never thought to see the day when FlyerTalk is more friendly and direct than Milepoint.