Question on Layovers (British Airways/LHR)

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Distilledhighlife, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Distilledhighlife

Distilledhighlife New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    Im new to milepoint and have a newbie question regarding layovers at LHR (flying BA, DXB => LHR => BOS)
    Im planning flying back from Dubai on BA 0106 leaving at 01:55am arriving at 06:20am. Now I have would like to fly out on BA0239 leaving at 7:30 pm and use the time to visit my folks who live near heathrow. Is it possible to have my bag ticketed through to BOS but leave the terminal and come back in time for 7:30 flight or should I take the BA0213 leaving at 11:20am?
    Thanks for the help!

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had family members stay overnight and have their bags checked through with no problem. :) Just ensure it's tagged all the way through at DXB.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, Distilledhighlife!
    This should be no problem, not even if it's on two separate tickets.

4. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done that several times in London. At least once I arrived into Heathrow in the morning and left late in the day out of Gatwick, and was able to check my bags through.

5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't affect the OP, but for anyone else who's reading this, this is no longer possible: inter-airport checked baggage transfers haven't been done by BA since about 2001.

EZEIZA likes this.
  6. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can ticket straight through no issue at all.

7. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I hadn't realized.

8. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed and the cost of the bus transfer used to be free if you showed your ticket.

9. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    One cautionary note. If transferring at LHR on separate tickets, check at LHR that the second flight has noted that there are bags transferring. Usually, the tag numbers need to be added separately in the booking. This should be done at the original departure point, but some agents miss it. The computerised baggage system at LHR means that although the tag may show the complete routing, the system does not know to load the bag on the flight because it is not showing as connecting to another flight.

Globaliser and ukgooner like this.
  10. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you be more specific on this? We are traveling JFK-LHR-VCE on 2 seperate tickets 1) JFK-LHR-JFK and 2) LHR-VCE-LHR. I called reservations and they said the 2 ITN can not be linked but talk to them at the airport and they MAY be able to check the bags to the final destination. I always look at the bag tag to see if they have routed correctly. Now you are saying that the bag tag may be correct but something else may be off.

Who do I need to check with at LHR? What do they need to check to be sure? Are there any key words I need to say?
    I am more nervous coming home since the VCE staff would not see the volume of passsengers that JFK does (plus we are in F out of JFK so the check in staff is more top notch).

Thanks

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are all your flights on BA? If so, BA will definitely through-check the bags even if you're on two separate tickets, so long as your connection time is at least the published Minimum Connection Time for the "connection".

12. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to any customer service desk (or agent in Lounge) and ask them to check that the tag numbers are showing on the connecting flight.

Globaliser likes this.
  13. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, all BA flights and 3+ hr connection times.

14. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    At check in let them know you are on two tickets, I did this in oct for PHL/LHR/IST no problem -I had two award tickets.