Question on International Mileage Run

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NDFAN 2, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello - Forgive me if this is a "basic" question but all my Mileage Runs have been domestic.

Looking at going from ORD to SIN via NRT on UA. When you get to SIN - there would be about a 6-7 hour layover if one was to fly right back. If one was to turn right back would you have to clear customs in SIN or would this be done in NRT before heading back to ORD? Has anyone ever done that (or do most spend a day or so there) and what was their experiences?

Thanks!

2. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say "customs", do you mean immigration?

3. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry for the confusion.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When going to through NRT in either direction you will not clear immigration/customs, you will just go through a special security area which has been set up for UA connectiing passengers and then you will be airside again.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And at SIN you can also remain in transit without clearing immigration if desired. You won't be able to get your BP or the UA flight until their transfer desk opens a couple hours prior to the return flight but you don't ever have to go in to Singapore if you don't want.

If you remain in transit the whole time then what do you tell immigration upon return? Technicaly you didn't visit any other countries.

6. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    But then that question is one of the sillier questions on US Government forms (from a rich line of silly questions). I was travelling recently with someone who had not been to the US for about 30 years. She had no idea what countries she had visited in the last 30 years. Clearly the idiot who posed the question did not remember that half the people completing the form are foreigners for whom the question makes no sense!

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you access airside lounges in SIN upon arrival without an onward boarding pass? For example, Priority Pass lounges. Some airports keep arriving and departing pax separate and even when not clearing immigration, you need to get an onward boarding pass to get into the area with lounges

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With Global Entry, no one's going to ask :)

And technically, are you not in Singapore even before clearing customs and immigrations? If not, where are you and what laws apply if you commit a crime? ;)

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't GE confirm your destination?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It asks if you came on flight XYZ from ABC. It doesn't ask, which countries you visited. So if the OP returned from NRT to the US, the machine will ask "did you arrive on UA xyz from NRT" but it doesn't ask about Singapore.

Hartmann likes this.
  11. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. I couldn't remember what it asked me on my last trip through.

12. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    SIN is perhaps the best airport in the world for a quick turn, mileage run.

Others have reported there are sleeping lounge chairs in the airport (believe you have to have a boarding pass for a flight from SIN or the cops/troops will likely ask you to leave). Have never used them, as the Transit hotel, discussed below, seemed a better option.

The excellent Transit Hotel (best booked in advance) - is perfect for a transit stay and also if going into SIN the next day. Prefer the transit hotel for 1st night as I'm tired and by waiting until next morning, can use cheap public transit. (Transit hotel on arrival, only works if you don't have or don't collect checked bags. If used for 1st night arrivals, you spend the night in Transit hotel, then pass thru immigration the next morning, then collect bags , then head into town - have done it twice).

Best to have a boarding pass for your flight from SIN if you're planning on sleeping airside. This probably can be obtained at a service desk in NRT. Even if you don't have a BP for flight from SIN you sleep in transit hotel, next morning leave secure area and check in to get boarding pass to get back airside.

(Unfortunately, you can't use the Transit hotel for departures - need a UA boarding pass for a flight that day from SIN to get airside and UA check in isn't open at night.)

If you have *Gold status, can use excellent lounges. If no status, for a 6 - 7 hour stay, the transit hotel and acres of shops should suffice. There's also a pool, health club - all of this is airside.

desamo likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMS may be the second best.

14. bigboofer

bigboofer Active Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Ambassador transit hotel several times and find them perfect for a quick shower and snooze. You book for a 6 hour block of time.

Make a reservation to make sure they have space for you. I find the one next to the free movie theater to be the nicest.

Flyer1976 likes this.