Question on CX Business Class

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Skiwindham, Aug 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. We are taking our first Business Class trip on CX, 16 hours JFK-HKG.
    It’s an all-night flight, leaving at 1:20 am and arriving at 5:15am
    Questions…1) do they supply PJ’s? If not, is it acceptable to board wearing loose fitting clothes, such as warm-ups?
    2). For anyone that‘s taken this flight or a similar one that flies only in darkness, what is the food service like? Mainly breakfasts?
    3) How comfortable for sleeping are the lie-flat seats? Our flight has the Herringbone configuration and not the new Business Class configuration.
    And for those that have traveled to Bali (our final destination), would it make sense to get a Visa before we leave NY or are the lines short enough at Bali that it doesn’t matter?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lines in Bali depend on the time your flight arrives. You might be able to avoid them by buying an arrival concierge service (or a few hotels might provide this to some or all guests). However, the advanced visa is somewhat of a hassle and requires more (and IIRC costs more) than the visa on arrival.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a Cathay 747 in business SFO-HKG-SFO with the older business class seats. I found them fine for sleeping when they're flat (got a solid 6-7 hours when I went to sleep around 5a.m.), but sitting up they were pretty narrow and there's not too much room to spread your arms.Tradeoff is that every seat has aisle access. In flight entertainment with huge monitors was excellent. I was not offered pajamas and from years of flying I can tell you that you would not be out of place switching into sweats if that's what you wanted to do. Many flyers do change to more comfortable attire for sleeping.

You'll get a full dinner service as well as breakfast.

Take a look at my trip report HERE and my photos in both directions HERE. Menus are in the trip report. We also departed after 1a.m. and out flight time was about 13 hours.

Do you know what your lounge options are at JFK?

Quasiconvexity and Tenmoc like this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I always get PJ's in CX F, but have only flown CX J on mid and short routes.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since SQ distributes PJ's in F but not J/C, it's a good guess that CX does the same.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No PJs in business. Perfectly fine to wear comfortable clothes, or wear whatever you like actually and change into PJs from another airline :)

You'll get dinner on departure and breakfast prior to arrival.

I am in a bit of a minority but I like the herringbone seats. They're narrow with high walls, not really conducive to interacting with a traveling companion. Great for sleeping if you don't get claustrophobic :)

i wouldn't worry about getting a visa in advance. Immigration lines can be really variable. Really short, really long. You can also hire an expediting/VIP meet and greet service quite reasonably.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. Thanks everyone for the info.
    Tom…great trip report! You asked about lounge options. I believe JFK has separate lounges for FC and BC passengers. Does anyone know if the CX Business lounge at JFK includes hot food or is it only drinks and some non-descript snacks?
    What were the lounge choices in HKG? Are the Business lounges in HKG fairly basic or do you commend getting there early to enjoy their offerings?
    Gary…dinner on departure? We’re talking about dinner after 2am when most folk are passed out. Wish they’d serve dinner much later when it’s better appreciated. (BTW Gary, this trip is possible due to your insights at the NY meeting. Thanks for suggesting it!).
    Any other suggestions on getting the most out of this very long Business Class flight on CX?

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the exception of The Cabin near Gate 23, which I used on the way to Shanghai for 40 mins because I was departing from that gate, I haven't used the business class lounges to really comment. They all have food options. Cathay lists all the amenities in their lounges here:
    http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/atairport/hkiasuperhub

9. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will just comment on your arrival to Bali, we arrived there on CX flight right after a couple other major airlines. The airport was very busy, and I was extremely happy that I paid for the service to have Visa on Arrival done by a middleman, and he walked us through without any waiting or lines, we were literally out of the airport in about 15 minutes, it was absolutely worth $30/person in my opion. Of course, a lot of people here and on FT believe it is a waste of money as they arrive and the airport is empty, it really does matter on your arrival time.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

PedroNY

10. Thanks Pedro. Where at the airport can you buy that service? Or does that need be arranged in advance?

11. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Since you asked about lounges, I usually skip the lounge in Bali unless I need to charge electronics or get some work done. Its not the worst around, but it can get VERY loud/crowded in the couple of hours before the CX flight departs and the food offerings are (to me) marginal if I'm about to be boarding a flight in business (and then using a lounge in HKG!) They DO have a nice outdoor patio that overlooks a tarmac and its not bad if you need one last dose of Bali air before you fly. Typically, I go downstairs to the place with reflexology massage (below the lounge which is up a flight of stairs) and use my remaining Rp for a lengthy reflexology massage.

gleff likes this.