Question on Churning/Changing Citi Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by mikeschu, Nov 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of today, I only have the Citi AA Visa card that I received last year when they were offering the 75k signup. Between that and BankDirect I seem to be generating AA miles out of my ears. :p

After reviewing all of the program award changes for 2012, I'm going to branch out to different programs. I've already applied for and will receive the SPG AmEx, so I'm good there. However, I'm strongly looking at the no-fee Citi Hilton HHonors card for when a merchant cannot take AmEx (and I have a few merchants who do this). I'm primarily getting the HHonors card for the automatic Silver status it confers, and I'll accept free points if companies are willing to give them to me.

Since I have a relationship with Citi, ideally I'd like to do the following:
    1. Keep my current credit line open
    2. Change the Citi AA Visa to a Hilton HHonors card (no fee)
    3. Receive signup bonus for Hilton HHonors card (because 40k HHonors points, while they may be small in value, is better than zero).

I have a sufficiently large credit line on the AA Visa to shift some over to a new card if Citi allows for it.

My questions are:
    1. Is the above possible, in some sort of fashion? Ideally I don't want to have a ton of credit pulls and the average account age to go down.
    2. If it is possible, are there any timing concerns (a la Chase) that I need to be concerned with? I'm in no rush to move the cards since I have a while before the annual fee on the AA Visa comes up again.
    3. Understanding that everyone values status and benefits differently, is getting the HHonors card a good idea? My other option is to transfer my Visa charges to a 1% cash back card that I currently have open.

Thanks in advance.

2. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    A while ago Citi was allowing conversion of cards. They stopped doing it claiming it was due to the CARD act. Try calling them but you won't get the 40k/50k bonus. (There is a 50k bonus offer for the HH card.)

As far as timing is concerned, Chase has no strict requirements and Citi won't even pull your report if you have already submitted 2 personal card applications in the last 60-65 days. Citi also doesn't like seeing too many inquiries(6 or 7?) in the last 6 months. If your intention is to churn, you can probably get the Citi AA Amex with a bonus if you wait 18 months from the date you applied for your visa card.

If you are looking at another card from Citi have you looked at the ThankYou Premier/Preferred(50k bonus TYP) or Forward(30k bonus TYP) cards?

BTW, Citi is also pretty relaxed about the annual fee. They have waived it for me every time.

zshanlon likes this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for replying.

I'll have to find the 50k HH bonus and see what the requirements are and if there are annual fees. I've had the Citi AA Visa for 15 months now and I rarely apply for new lines of credit, so I haven't put in a new application with Citi in a while. Thus I was going to call and see if they would allow a conversion with the bonus. I'm surprised that they would cite the CARD Act for stopping conversions, as that wasn't the intent of the law (disclaimer: I work in the financial IT industry).

Maybe the better question to ask is: for as little activity as I intend to do with this card (say US$100-200/mo), is 1% cash back better than Hilton Silver status? That's why I haven't considered the other Citi cards - I'm being very specific on the card and its bonuses. I usually stay at HGVs in Vegas, so it's worth getting a few bonuses here and there and ensuring I don't get the worst room in the place.

I'm horrible when it comes to remembering when annual fees are to be applied, so the less I have to maintain the better. I realized the Citi card's annual fee arrived and paid only last month.

4. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the link:50k HH.

No annual fee. Requires you to spend $1500 in 6 months. Read more at FT

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are pretty mindful of number of applications, Pulling more than twice within 60 days will get auto-reject and even with just two, one might be rejected, especially if there is no prior history with Chase. calling them is likely to remedy that.

6. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is not true. I have received two cards within 60 days. I agree that they don't like seeing lots of new accounts within 1 year from application date. I don't think any issuer would like that.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your experience matches up with what I said, so I am not sure what exactly you are saying is not true.

8. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't true.

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    While that might be so, your own example does not support that and you provided no other examples either, so really, what are you arguing here?

From my own experience, first time around Chase provided me with 2 cards and 1 auto-reject that I had overturned. Second time around recently they auto-rejected 2nd application but reversed after my call.