Question on buying multiple one ways, and a mileage ticket in between

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Jan 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

I'm looking to go to Hawaii then Japan. When pricing things the HNL to NRT flights are better deals with miles, but DEN-HNL, NRT/KIX-DEN are better with purchase/upgrades for me and using points for my fiance. I can't do an open jaw from DEN-HNL and NRT-DEN, right? United's site wouldn't price it. So I was going to purchase/use miles for six separate tickets (three each: DEN-HNL, HNL-NRT, NRT/KIX-DEN). Do I have to worry about doing this?

Also, DEN-HNL doesn't allow me to upgrade at this point (when plugging in
    Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W in fare class it gives me a M). But expertflyer is showing: F9 C9 A9 D9 Z9 P0 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 for the flight. Should I assume an upgrade is likely based on this?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Just because there is inventory available doesn't mean that there is a published fare or that your search meets those fare rules. If you are searching for a one-way trip the M fare my be the lowest published option.

There is no need to book DEN-HNL//NRT-DEN as a single round-trip rather than two one-way trips to save miles; it will cost the same. The only difference is potentially in fees with making changes. Now, booking DEN-HNL//HNL-NRT//NRT (or KIX)-DEN would/should be cheaper as a single award than as three one-way trips.

Upgrading DEN-HNL does not have a fare class minimum. You can use RPUs or GPUs on any fare. Miles-supported upgrades may require co-pays depending on elite status.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

The big problem with booking a series of one-ways for what are essentially connecting flights is that you'll have separate PNRs. If something happens during the first flight to make you miss the second flight, you're schnitzled; if the flights were on the same PNR, the airline is supposed to adjust to accommodate the delay/misconnect.

Of course, if you're stopping in HNL rather than connecting, that shouldn't be an issue.