Question on booking/upgrading award tickets

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harvson3, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Apologies if this has been covered before; I can't seem to find it.

My fiancee and I are looking into a honeymoon trip to SE Asia in February. She's currently at 120,000 OnePass miles and we have the PresPlus card and should clear 130,000 for two coach award flights by next month. I have ~30,000 miles but may soon have more.

1. I've seen that it's possible to use miles to upgrade a full fare. Is it possible to use miles to upgrade an award ticket to the next level after it has been ticketed?

2. Once we book the coach tickets using her miles, if I (not she) have the extra 55,000 miles, can we apply these to upgrade one of the legs on the award ticket to Business? Or would we have to pay the $15 per 1K miles fee to transfer my miles to her account, then book? (I see the 15,000 maximum transfer from one account to another might make this second part of the question moot.)

3. She's Silver now, but may not be Silver next year when we fly. (We may not keep the card.) I will be Silver next year. Are we still eligible for (the slim possibility of) upgrades on the CO/UA legs? Is there a way to make me primary on the PNR? Is that even necessary?

4. (Off-topic) Has anyone taken the KL-Singapore overnight train? Recommended?

I'd appreciate any help.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

1) No.
    2) No.
    3) If you are elite AND have the CC the you are eligible for upgrades on awards where EUA would apply. No companion upgrades for a Silver and based on you mentioning KUL-SIN it is unlikely you will have a EUA-eligible route (though I suppose California-HNL-Island Hopper-HKG-SIN would work if they keep the 738 on HKG-SIN as is rumored.
    harvson3 likes this.