Question on award searches on

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harvson3, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So we're planning to go to SE Asia for some diving around New Year's.

If I do a "Multiple Destinations" search on united.com, it will give me Saver Award availability in I for

ROC-SGN
    CGK-ROC

But if I search for

ROC-SGN
    SGN-SIN
    CGK-ROC

all options are Standard Awards. And some flights previously viewable (e.g., thru IST) are now hidden.

I've noticed this several times: adding the full stopover + open jaw kicks one back to only standard award availability. Leaving the search at just an open jaw for Multiple Destinations allows for Saver Awards.

Is this a feature of the online award system and something that can be overcome by calling to make a reservation? Or am I asking for itineraries that exceed the maximum of miles/flights that United will sell for Saver Award prices?

EDIT: Please note that the title should read "Question on award searches on united.com" but my wrist hit Enter prematurely.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're allowed 11 or 16 segments on a return trip (I forget which, but either way you're not exceeding that) so that's not the issue. My guess is that it is just a limitation of the search engine on united.com. Calling it in should get you the seats you want, assuming the inventory really is there.

harvson3 likes this.
  3. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar issue, where Air NZ flights showed as available between LAX-LHR when searching LAX-BEY but not when searching LAX-LHR. Called in and the segment was available.

harvson3 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does UA use married segment logic on it's award pricing?