Question: Hyatt upgrade certificate use in Japan

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by alohastephen, Oct 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question regarding the Hyatt suite upgrade certificates good on paid stays.

I am planning to make a paid stay in Japan. In Japan, it appears that they charge per person rather than per room. Since I plan on upgrading to a suite anyway, can I make a reservation based on the lower single (one person) room price even if I am staying with my wife? Or do I need to reserve and pay for the higher double (two persons) price?

Thank you.

2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe you'll still have to pay for the double rate since two people are occupying the room/suite.

alohastephen and RichardInSF like this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt hotels in Japan have, at most, only a relatively small difference between the single and double rate. It tends to be Japanese style hotels (ryokan or minshuku) where meals are included in the rate that charge on a per person basis.

But in your case, since there will be two people in the room, you clearly have to pay the double rate regardless, as Peter pointed out just above.

alohastephen likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the two replies above. Most hotels in Japan have separate rates for single versus double occupancy of the same room, but the difference is usually pretty small. (For example, at the Imperial in Tokyo, the difference is usually about 3,000 yen per night (plus tax and service charge), which is ten percent or less or the single room rate.) You would, of course, be charged the double occupancy rate if you are traveling with someone, perhaps with an exception for a small child.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

alohastephen likes this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just don't forget that suite upgrades cannot be used at the HR Kyoto.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they not have suites in Kyoto?

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do, I've stayed in one. And I don't see any specific exclusion on the award page discussing the suite upgrade for points: http://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp

As it is a resort, you would have to pay a minimum of the prevailing deluxe rack rate to use the upgrade.

However note that most regular rooms at this hotel are at least 60 sqmt in size so you may want to save your suite upgrade for somewhere else.

alohastephen likes this.
  8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I don't think there is a point exclusion, just the 4 annual diamond upgrades are not applicable to the HR Kyoto. Specifically excludes it.

alohastephen likes this.
  9. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um, are you sure this is HR Kyoto and not HR Hakone? I remember the standard rooms at Kyoto to be tiny! We were lucky, however, that we got an upgrade to a suite.