Question for EXP's

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a long time EXP and have always experienced excellent service from the FA's, even when sitting if Y so was a little taken aback on Flt 283 LAX-HNL on June 24.

We were headed to Hawaii for a nice Oahu for a nice family vacation in a house we rented on Sunset Beach on the North Shore (picture from the back deck)

Oahu North Shore 2012.jpg

Back to Flt 283... On every other AA flight I have taken in Y, the FA knew me by name and offered my my choice of any of their wonderful items for dining, and cocktail, beer, wine, etc., at no charge. Yesterday, the FA came by (we were all exit row), didn't acknowledge me by name (or my daughter who is Platinum), and asked us if we would like to purchase a food item. I asked if EXP's were required to pay for food items, to which she responded, "Oh, are you and EXP? Do you have a boarding pass or something that you can show me that proves you are an EXP? Me to myself: Really? Isn't it YOUR job to know who the EXP's are on the flight? I showed her my boarding pass and took my lovely turkey sandwich for my wife and I ordered a beer.

Although I did receive my dining item and beer gratis, my thought is that on every other flight, the FA's were aware of who their EXP level customers were, even if they were sitting in Y. Am I wrong to be a little miffed about this? I am not trying to be elitist about this, just thought it was standard practice for AA to treat their EXPs a little different than the general flying public...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been in coach in 2012, but last year I always presented my EXP card wjen ordering items in coach to avoid any issues. Maybe the F/A didn't have a copy of the manifest or there were printer issues. I would have just had my card handy to avoid whatever the problem was.

Tom poolside in Omaha

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've not been in Y often, but the last few times I was not addressed by name and the FA did not know I was EXP without me notifying them. As with most things YMMV though.

jbcarioca, anabolism and garyst16 like this.
  4. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    garyst16 -
    Looking at your footer, looks like you are a pretty experienced flyer. Please don't take this the wrong way, but for a second, I wasnt sure if you were being sarcastic or if you are asking a honest question. My apologies if it's the latter.

I think two important things to think about here:
    1. From what I've read on the forums, the general consensus is that AA has some pretty great customer service, and so it's not unusual that you got great service on all your "other" flights. Sadly, as we know in the customer service world, eventually, you will get someone who is either having a bad day, or just is tired and isn't in the mind set of being overly pleasant. it doesnt sound like she was being rude or mean to you, just being curt. This happens once in a while, and there really isnt much you can do about it except accept it for what it is.
    2. You yourself mentioned that you have received excellent service on every other flight ... and seeing as you have 1.8MM and an EXP, indicates you travel a lot, at least a 100K miles a year, and if this is the first time you havent received a 10/10 experience, thats actually answering your own question - its standard practice to treat EXPs differently, but for whatever reason, on this one time, you didnt get that treatment.

Whether you should be miffed - I would say no. You normally get excellent treatment, but you didnt this one time. FAs are human, and they dont necessarily all be on their game 100% of the time. Now, if you were having this happen to you on every single flight, thats when you get miffed.

Cheers!!

Bobtray, jbcarioca, Scottrick and 2 others like this.
  5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just asking a question - and no, didn't take it the wrong way...always appreciate the opinons of other MPers.

Maybe miffed was the wrong word...I guess I am always surprised when the FA's know who the EXPs are after having been greeted by name so many times, was equally surprised when it didn't happen...Agree, FA's are human...

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no insight into FA training materials or job expectations, but I've always assumed that it wasn't part of their job to know the status of their passengers (regardless of cabin), although I believe the information is available to them if they want to know.

(This is in contrast to some other carriers where the FAs are expected to know the OneWorld status and treat elites differently, e.g., on QF when my partner and I switched seats and they thought he was me, the FA asked him his meal and dessert choice first, or on CX where the CSD comes by and introduces him- or her-self.)

I wouldn't be miffed, since I don't expect FAs to know my status. GAs and reservations staff, yes, at least when it makes a difference (e.g., boarding order, upgrade processing, waiving ticketing fees).

jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  7. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree Gary. I think that the FA's should acknowledge your status. ExPlat must be earned by flying. I think AA should reinforce customer service with the FA's especially with all that AA is going through right now. It is always nice to be recognized by a business for being such a loyal customer. Obviously the FA's are also going through a rough time right now with AA going through bankruptcy but they should remember that without us, the flying public they wouldn't be in business. And from what you posted Gary it seems like she might have had an attitude with you. I hope this is an isolated experience. I remember flying Cathay Pacific once and having the Head Purser come up to me and thank me for being an Emerald Oneworld Member. She along with another 5 flight attendants asked if I needed anything. She also allowed me to order the food before anyone else in the cabin (I flew business class from LAX-HKG). I was shocked at such wonderful service especially since this was my first time flying Cathay and I had earned my Emerald Status on AA and had never set foot on one of their planes before. Now I don't expect that treatment from AA but I think that the treatment Gary received from the FA put a sour taste in his mouth and he was on vacation. Just my two cents from a fellow Executive Platinum Member.

8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boy, got to tell you that your story kind of hit me hard (as in I can so relate). Yes, I'm a 1K coming over but what you explained was the first of many little "changes" that started with UA almost 2 years ago.

Prior to that, most every flight a FA would come by and welcome me by name and knew I (along with other passengers) were either 1K or GS. But then I had a flight almost exactly as you explained. Not really butt hurt or thinking DYKWIA, but kind of maybe a one-off experience and no big deal. Well, as time goes on now we never get any kind of personal acknowledgement.

Not saying this is going to happen to AA ( I really-really hope not), as it kind of feels good to have a little recognition from a company and it's staff from flying a lot with them.

BTW, love your photo and can't wait for my yearly trip to OGG :)

9. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the instances where I've not cleared an upgrade this year, I don't think I was ever addressed by name by the FAs, and after having been asked for my boarding pass or EXP card on a couple of occasions, I have just started keeping it handy to flash. I'm glad they ask, if they don't have a manifest, so that people don't 'game' the benefit. I don't mind having to 'prove' I'm really EXP.

jbcarioca, Skye1 and garyst16 like this.
  10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    To OP: Seems you have been spoiled by AA's perfect record so far. By the law of averages, slip ups will happen now and then.

In terms of recognition, I am seeing every variation: some cabin crews have been great, others skipped me like office furniture. Good experiences have come all the way from partners (Cathay Pacific purser on HKG-BKK), mainline AA, as well American Eagle.

In terms of free food/beverages on domestic AA flights: I think it is best to avoid any verbal exchange, which have the potential to become awkward if your companion, neighbors, etc begin to think you are trying to scam free food. :) Just keep your EXP card handy, order what you want, and at the moment when others would have given her a credit card, give/show her your EXP card. That keeps the interaction business like and private.

11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AZ John - photo was taken with my HTC Inspire 4G cell phone! Can you even imagine how much better it looks in person? Of course you can if you head to Maui every year!

jbcarioca, anabolism and AZjohn like this.
  12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know first hand that sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words;)
    But, you did a great job putting me on the beach mentally:)

garyst16 and jbcarioca like this.
  13. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    One bad apple...sounds like the FA was having a bad day, not that she should have behaved that way.

garyst16 and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it also varies not only by airline, but by crew.
    During a domestic LAN flight (all economy) not that long ago and the purser along with one of her FA colleagues came up to me, introduced herself, thanked me for being a valued OneWorld customer, and then introduced me to her FA colleague who would be happy to help. Made for quite the glances from the rows around....

wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably should not opine because i have not flown in coach for some time. In C and F I am sometimes recognized, sometimes not. Mostly not. There is no dining priority, and I have even been missed entirely for food service from time to time, mostly breakfast. That is not a great loss because AA international breakfast is rarely something I really want.

OTOH, I have had only a couple occasions during the last in which AA service was a disappointment, so I am happy. I do not expect a US carrier to provide good food, good drink nor very good service, so I'm really pleased when it happens.

When flying QF and CX I have always been greeted and treated very well. Similarly with top elite on both ST and *A I can attest that QF and CX are leagues ahead of any of the vaunted SQ and LH service to US airline elite members, but KL and SU are great in ST and LX is excellent in *A. These comments are only about non-US carriers recognition to US-carrier Elites.

AZjohn and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why were you missed for breakfast? I've never been missed for a meal (aside from mid-flight snack on PVG, PEK, or NRT-JFK when that operated).

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do LGA-ORD very frequently and when i can get done with meetings early, I'll take coach any day to get out before the rush and to be home 2 hours earlier. That's what usually is the only thing available. It varies. The rock star crew on the flight I'm on right now did I the way AA wants it to be one: the coach FA has a print out of all EP, today I was the only one in coach

She came and found me, introduced herself, thanked me for my business and told me what was available on bob and that I could get whatever I wanted

It happens about half the flights, the ones where it doesnt, I show my bp when they pull out the machine of death

wrxmom and garyst16 like this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've missed the upgrade more times than I'd like this year. Every single time the FA has known that I'm an EXP. Once they did skip my row for BOB and had only cookies and pringles left though :( Usually it's quite proactive and really very nice.

garyst16 likes this.
  19. Beyond

Beyond New Member

Status Points:
    SJU-MIA I was in Y, FA didn't know [didn't see any printout with them] - I had the card, and she tried swiping it 3 times before giving up and giving me the cheese & crackers. No thanks or other recognition.

Then again, I found SJU agents to be generally incompetent [AC & gates] so wasn't surprised.

garyst16 likes this.
  20. pdb

pdb Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when CX and JL FAs go out of their way to greet/thank individually all OW Emeralds (irrespective of class of service), but that AA FAs do not consistently greet/thank their EXPs. The FAs should be all over those flight manifests. Those are among the little touches which cost nothing, but which have big payoffs. I'm not sure if this is cultural or reflective of general bad attitude on the part of AA (and many other domestic carrier) FAs, but an attitude adjustment would be a positive and pleasant change.

garyst16 likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree and disagree. Would it be a nice touch? Yes.

I don't think it's a service element that reduces my enjoyment in the cabin to any great degree and overall I've found the attitudes of AA's FAs to be acceptable to superb, so I'm not sure an attitude adjustment is needed for the most part.

Skye1, anabolism, RonK973 and 2 others like this.
  22. pdb

pdb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Consistency of product/service is a hallmark of great companies. My AA in-cabin experience over the years has been variable; whereas my CX and JL in-cabin experience has been consist (and consistently outstanding). I was pleased to read the following in a 30-Jul-12 WSJ article "Japan Airlines Roars Back With an Eye on U.S. Market"
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444464304577535042332731160.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

"AA and JAL have deepened their relationship..: JAL has even offered to train American's cabin attendants in the ways of Japanese hospitality. AA executives have cited JAL as an important aspect of their own turnaround plan."

23. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    but it doesn't mean AA has accepted their nice gesture though

24. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was never really a realistic notion to begin with

25. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've often wondered if Japanese people find non-Asian carriers to be rude, considering the wide disparity in how staff treat customers.