Question: Can I get miles for flights I skip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Joshua, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Joshua
    Original Member

Joshua Active Member

Status Points:
    If I have a ticket for ORD-MAD-MRS, but skip the final leg from Madrid to Marseille (i.e. I take the train or stay in Madrid), do I still get the ff miles for the final flight? My guess is that I wouldn't, but it's something I've always wondered about.

misman and secretsea18 like this.
  2. You do have to fly to get the miles. You're supposed to, anyway - I imagine many of us have tales of miles posting for flights we didn't take, but that's the exception.

secretsea18 likes this.
  3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, Joshua! [​IMG]

If your ticket is one way ORD-MAD-MRS, and you skip the MAD-MRS then you will earn miles for ORD-MAD only. Beware if this is just part of your itinerary, though, as any flights after the segment you skip will all be canceled. If you also have MRS-MAD-ORD, then that part will end up being canceled, for example.

If you check luggage, be careful about skipping the final segment, unless you KNOW that you will be picking up bags at the connecting city as you transit immigration. I know that I have transited CDG on route to FCO and only did immigration into EU at CDG. Customs (reclaiming checked luggage) occurred in FCO.

Tim and Joshua like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't even think of asking the airline to credit miles for skipped flights. You do not want to call attention to the fact that you've done it. There's a theoretical possibility that they could rewrite your ticket and charge you a lot of money. Of you make a practice of frequently skipping segments, there could be consequences, such as possible suspension of your FF account.

2soonold and Joshua like this.
  5. Joshua
    Original Member

Joshua Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your responses. I feel welcomed [​IMG].

I don't think I've ever skipped a flight, but was just curious as to what would happen. The only case I would consider doing it intentionally would be a one-way US domestic flight. Occasionally I'll see a cheaper flight that has a stopover in my destination city.

Luggage isn't usually a problem since I mostly carry on my bags, but it's good to know the risks of them cancelling the return leg or rewriting the ticket.

As a follow up, suppose I was to miss the MAD-MRS flight after spending the day in Madrid and not getting back to the airport soon enough. If I wanted to take the train to Marseille instead, what would be the best way to avoid a cancellation of the return trip or fees for changing the ticket?

6. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint! :)

Airlines have differentiated pricing for seats based on criteria including the flexibility you have for changes. Therefore, the specifics would depend on the terms of your ticket - fully changeable refundable tickets are more expensive but they give you the benefit of changes so you'd be able to change the ticket. However, for many of the cheaper fares the ticket cancels out if you miss the flight. Some airlines have a "flat tire" rule so that if you show up within an hour or so from your flight departure they will let you standby or change your ticket to the next flight (as opposed to canceling your ticket) but this flexibility is quickly reducing ... and my understanding is that it is less common in Europe.

Joshua likes this.
  7. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:
    no miles[​IMG]

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Affectionately referred to sometimes as BIS (Butt in Seat)

9. Juttalina
    Original Member

Juttalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    You would only get the miles if the flight was canceled or if they for some reasons booked you on another carrier.

10. Joshua
    Original Member

Joshua Active Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks for helping out a newbie and not making me feel foolish. I think I'm going to like this place.

Tinkerer likes this.
  11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome. Please keep in mind that this violates the T&Cs of some (most) programs, so you don't want to do it often. Others have warned you about the possibility of a return cancellation if you return originates at MRS and is on the same PNR as this segment your are dropping.

IIRC, Southwest (WN) actually allows this type of thing!

12. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Joshua,

If the flight original flight routing is changed in some way, you may want to pay attention to ensure your miles post as originally intended. You can often request an "original routing credit" to get the full amount. Of course, sometimes changes work out in your favor and you get more miles.

13. HON

HON

The chance of getting the miles, is practically zero;

however I would not be scared to be fined by the airlines, even though the theoretically could try that;

the ones who do/did get fined are travel agents who seel such tix day in day out with segments that are never used, unless they keep in mind to cancel them.

if buying a ticket with the intention to drop the last part (eg its cheaper), and you are taking luggage, make sure that leave a good 12+ hours between your last flight you are taking, and the one you wil skip, so that your luggage will not continue.

14. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a difficult situation. The *best* way is to call before you miss the flight and ask politely. The worst way is to not call and turn up to MRS for your return flight, for which your ticket will invariably be cancelled.

If you don't have to pay a change fee, you are very lucky indeed.

Joshua likes this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

definitely be polite, because by rule, if you miss any segment, subsequent seats are cancelled

16. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a given reason for cancelling the following segments after a missed segment? I guess I'm confused why they would cancel something I already paid for.

misman likes this.
  17. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably because adding the segment dropped the price significantly. I don't think the OP intends to continue on... at least not on the same day.

ahow628 likes this.
  18. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know what? I'm an idiot. I kept saying segments. What I meant to say is:

If I skip a segment, why do they cancel the return? Is it because it was required as a round trip? Would the return be canceled if it was two one-ways?

19. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not. If you book as two one ways, they are independent of each other. (The airline might not be happy that you do this, but I don't think there is much they could do about it if you had a good reason.) However, if the return is MRS-MAD-ORD, you could not just hop on at MAD... you'd need to start at MRS.

The "rules" for roundtrip usually require that all segments be flown in order, or the subsequent flights are cancelled.

ahow628 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    100% agreed. having 2 independent itineraries makes it a completely different conversatioN!

21. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If its a round trip itinerary, and you miss a segment, the airline is going to assume you have no intention of continuing on your other segments (including your return journey) and will free up the seat for potential sale. This wont happen of course if you rebook or contact the airline before your next segment is scheduled to depart. But if you miss the flight (either on purpose or accident) and dont contact the airline, the balance of you segments are canceled.

ahow628 likes this.
  22. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this "rule" harkens back to the days when a RT was always cheaper than 2x OW. That's not always true any longer; in fact, a lot of our Southwest Airlines (WN) fliers will book 2x OW instead of a RT because the cost is about the same, and it allows for flexibility.

Lufthansa Flyer and ahow628 like this.
  23. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys.

24. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Mark Allen Jackson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never skipped a flight, but I would imagine no miles :(

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  25. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten miles for many flights I haven't taken, but it's certainly not the norm. Often it's because I'm rerouted on another airline, so I get miles on the new airline, as well as the original flight I was supposed to be on.

Generally, you can only get away with dropping a segment if it's the very last one on a ticket. I think there are some new rules out of Germany on doing it differently, but I'm not up to date on how that works, or the pricing.

misman likes this.