Question BA award availability

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by deant, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Am in the process of booking a flight from CDG to LAX in late July of 2013. Have been able to "hold" an AA flight from LHR to LAX so that is not an issue.

However, it appears that BA has not released ANY CDG - LHR award flights past 18 July. That is almost 2 weeks of no awards. Does anyone know if that is normal?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It actually is pretty normal, they'll likely release seats later, perhaps a week or two (no help to you since you don't want to release the hold on the long haul flight, which means if you want to add CDG-LHR into the award later it'll involve a change and if you aren't an AA EXP then a change fee)

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally.

Are you booking with BA Miles/Avios? If so, then at first glance it would seem to make no difference to book the LHR-LAX now and the CDG-LHR in a separate booking later, because CDG-LHR would cost you the same whether you do it in the same booking now or in a separate booking later.

Or just pick up a cheapie cash ticket for CDG-LHR (or ORY-LHR) on BA. It's not as if they're expensive.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Am booking with AA miles. It actually appears that on most routes within Europe, BA has not released any saver seats past 18 July. Am debating if I should go ahead and book the LHR - LAX flight and then pay for the flight from CDG to LHR or let the hold expire and hope for later on. Since I am 10 plus months out, will probably let the hold expire and keep looking.

5. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume the change you are talking about would be to get them all on the same PNR? In that case, is there a guarantee that the seats you released would actually drop back into available inventory to allow the agent to book LAX-LHR & LHR-CDG on the same PNR?

If booked separately, I know from posts elsewhere that BA won't combine them into one PNR after they're booked. My understanding is that in the case of IRROPS, even if they're the cause of a missed connection, that they are not required to help you (i.e. book you on a later flight at no charge). So travel insurance would likely be a good purchase here.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    As always, the question is what the bird in the hand is worth. If you're confident that you'll be able to get an acceptable award seat for the long-haul flight at a later date, then you might as well save the money/miles. However, there are many award seats that I personally would not let go as soon as I got hold of them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How can anyone be confident of anything in the Frequent Flyer world? But since I also have the option of using UA miles for the return, I think it may be a safe bet the SOMETHING will come up.