Question: As a student can I get a small business CC?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by salmon515151, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. salmon515151

salmon515151 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

Seeing as the chase ink line of credit cards are all the rage these days I was wondering if you think it would be possible as a student to get one, especially since the lower spending requirement will soon expire. I was thinking of applying for the chase ink bold charge card because I have heard that charge cards are a little easier to get. (Any thoughts on this?)

Here are some details about my situation:
    -21 years old
    -CK score of 748, CS score of 710
    -Part time income about 15k
    -Don't actually have a small business, but thinking of starting one (wink, wink)

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!

2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you do anything to earn money that could be considered a business? Tutor, sell things on ebay, etc. Otherwise you actually will be lying on a credit application. Now I know many people do it. It is the reason I have not applied for the Ink card. Your income seems a little low. From what I have read it sounds like you will have a lot of explaining to do when you have to call Chase to ask them to reconsider your application. You risk having a inquiry on your credit with no result. Are you applying for other cards or loans anytime soon? If not you may want to take the risk of being turned down. Do you have any other Chase cards? I personally probably would not jump in with a business card but I am a little more conservative than other folks.

3. salmon515151

salmon515151 Active Member

Status Points:
    I do things that could be considered a business (tutoring and sell on craigslist), but it's very irregular and I don't receive enough income on that by itself. Yes, I do have other Chase cards specifically the SW card and the Freedom card. I am not planning on applying for loans anytime in the near future and as far as applying for other cards I was thinking of maybe getting a small business card and just a personal card. Also I am thinking about starting to sell food at my local Farmer's Market, so would Chase qualify that as a business? Thanks for your response I appreciate that.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people our age have online businesses so you should be fine. There's a reason why there are a lot of millionaires in their 20's at Vegas :)

salmon515151 likes this.