Question/Advice: Google Voice & AT&T Prepaid SIM

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Espan, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I live overseas, but maintain a US number via an AT&T prepaid SIM ($2 per day of usage, only on days used, w/ unlimited calls and text to/from any US number, and minor charge per data, which I don't use). Basically, it costs me $100/year to keep the number active, and I simply pop the SIM in to my not very smartphone whenever I'm in US.

I've yet to use Google Voice, but am about to set it up and am wondering if it's wise to assign my US cell number to be my Google Voice number. As I understand it, all calls to that prepaid number will be automatically forwarded to Google Voice. Messages will be transcribed and sent to me via email, etc. I'm not sure if I'll incur the $2 charge for days calls are received and forwarded.

I'm also about to get the Google Nexus 7" tab which is Wi Fi only. And assuming I can use a combo of the Wi Fi tablet when I have connection and SIM based phone when in US.

Does anyone here use Google Voice in a similar situation, and/or as non-US based service?

Thanks

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have Google Voice but use it as my "burn" number when I want to sign up for something and don't want to use my real phone.

I'm not using it in the same manner as you though -- if anything I use it to screen calls and for their voicemail transcripts. From what I gather from your plan though, you would KEEP your existing prepaid setup and sign up for Google Voice. You get to pick a phone US number from the ones available and then you can select whether you want calls to ring on all your phones, your desktop PC, etc. Same goes for SMS.

The catch is that you'd give people your GV number rather than your real number, and incoming calls / sms and voicemails shouldn't incur a charge on your prepaid line because you're not really using it. You can also choose whether you even want stuff forwarded to your "real" number and if you want to block specific numbers, etc.

When you get to the US you'd pop your SIM into a smartphone (!) and install the Google Voice app which would let you decide if you want to make calls using GV or your real number. Still, you could simply use the web interface for SMS or to read the transcripts (if available) of incoming calls.

If you're looking to port your prepaid SIM number to GV (which I'm not sure if they support) or use it as a pure VoIP client when you're in the US using the tablet, I'm not sure that this would work, but like I said I don't use the product in this fashion so I could be wrong.

Espan likes this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. From what I'm gathering, it doesn't look like GV easily supports ATT per day Go Phone, and my best bet is just to pick up a dedicated US-based GV phone number...