Question about Y/B ups

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a few flights in full B fare today...

One leg does not have a 1st class... But the other leg has plenty of seats available in 1st... Wouldn't I be eligible for an auto upgrade?

Premier gold currently

2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has to also be the right fare class open to upgrade into, i think R needs to be?

Phorever likes this.
  3. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how I can check that?

Sorry for the noob questions

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Papa November for B/M-ups.
    Juliet November for Y-ups.

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's PN for Y/B-ups and you can check that by doing a new search for your flights with expert mode turned on on united.com or KVS or ExpertFlyer. And even if it was available after you booked, you usually have to request it, I believe.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that it'll show in the reservation and you can confirm the upgrade then, at least with the Y-ups. Haven't tried a B-up.

stephenbgarvan and goalie like this.
  7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup-it will say something along the lines of "instant upgrade available" (or something similar) where you just click thru and it will process immediately

stephenbgarvan, sobore and desamo like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it'd just been several months so a) I couldn't really remember b) it may have changed since :)

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    If United.com showed your Gold status and account info when you went to the homepage before you did the search then they would recognize you as Gold for the search. The search results would say "Premier Instant Upgrade Available" under the flight if the flight as "PN" available for B/M upgrades (remember, an immediate upgrade from M is only available to 1K's) or "JN" for a Y upgrade.

If that moniker did not appear under the flight then there are no immediate upgrade seats available. If it did appear then you should have been asked to tick the box next to the flight you selected to process the upgrade right then and there. This is how it works for all YBM immediate upgrades.

If the box didn't appear then you will have to wait for PN to become available. When you view your reservation online you will see the Premier Instant Upgrade moniker appear under the flight when PN is available. You can process it right then via the website or just call the Gold line and ask them to process it for you.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "full B fare". All B fares are "full". People use the "full Y fare" to distinguish between paying for a "Y" fare (very high cost) vs paying for a coach fare which is the "Y" cabin.

-Rob