Question about wife getting AAdvantage points through sign up

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brewernq, Aug 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brewernq

brewernq Member

Status Points:
    I already have an AA account with miles in it from signing up for the citi card.

My question is, can my wife sign up for those cards and put MY aadvantage number in, so that all the miles go to one account? Transferring miles between accounts is way too expensive

2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't believe that is possible. The names have to match.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As noted above, generally speaking the credit and mileage account names need to match.

With the way AA allows awards to be booked, transferring miles isn't really needed in some situations. Might be better to ask what you want to do with your miles to see if consolidating your miles into a single account is even needed.

So.... what do you want to do with your miles? :)

4. brewernq

brewernq Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping to redeem the miles to book a vacation package (pay for the hotel and flights with AA miles)

Perhaps I can redeem the hotel with my account, and flights with my wife's?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's certainly one option, though you'd really have to look into whether you'd get a better deal as a package on the AAVacations site or if booking separately will be advantageous, keeping mind the fees and cost of transferring your miles.

I tend not to book hotels with my miles though. Generally I find the value to be better spent on flights, but there are certainly some who have enough miles and find good deals that make it worthwhile.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest perhaps you and she both sign up for cards and book independently (assuming good credit and you always pay your CC bill off at the end of the month). You will get more miles for travel that way with two of you working the bonuses. Further I would suggest some blog reading, and tons of research beforehand, as there tends to be ways to maximize these things...for instance:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/10/11/citi-aadvantage-50000/

Sunshine7 likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd also like to welcome you to MilePoint, btw. :)

JohnDeere19 and IPBrian like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next best thing is for her to sign up for the Citicard(s) get the bonuses and then select one card/account (say yours) request an additonal card in you wifes name ( but on your acccount) and all the miles from both your spends will go into the selected account ( except for the bonus received from your wife's credit card).

9. rheller42

rheller42 Active Member

Status Points:
    If both you and your wife sign up for the credit cards the miles will be in each of your accounts. But you can do what my wife and I did this past summer and book the outgoing flight on your account and the return on your wife's account. This is possible on AA since one way tickets are half the miles of a round trip.

deant likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is already discussed above. The big issue is the the poster really wants to use the miles for an AAVacation package.

brewernq likes this.