Question About Upgrade Cost on UA TATL

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Newscience, Aug 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to book 2 seats from either EWR or IAD to FRA/MUC (and connecting beyond). Will likely purchase Q class (refundable coach) seats. On the UA website, it permits me to book economy plus seats for an additional ~$109 each way. It also states that: "You may have the opportunity to purchase a premium cabin once you have booked your reservation".

I'd like to know ahead of time approximately how much it will cost (miles/$) to upgrade these seats to business class seating on these TATL flights.

Would anyone care to provide a best guess as to how many miles/costs in $ to upgrade these seats? It sure would be nice to know this prior to booking, United Airlines!

Thank you!

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    Counsellor, Kalboz and mht_flyer like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be correct those are one way upgrade costs.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also the possibility that you'll be offered a cash-only upgrade immediately after purchasing the flights. Sometimes it is discounted and often it is just the fare difference to whatever biz class is selling for that day.

Q fares can also be upgraded using GPUs if you have one (or have friends who have them).

Finally, read all the fine print. It is possible that "refundable" means with a fee. So you may have to pay a penalty to get your money back. Better than it being a penalty to just get a credit for future UA travel, but still possible you don't get a 100% refund.

NYCUA1K, IDGflygirl and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! :)

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Wandering Aramean, this is quite useful information. It sounds as if when I do purchase the ticket, I get to find out about the "Daily Deal" regarding upgrades from UA! ;)

Using GPUs is not a issue in this case (I'm elite with US only, and will likely lose this status next year :(). I'd like to be able to use my upgrade certificates on a similar US flight, but there's not many US flights headed in that TATL direction. :(

And I'm aware of issues with "refundability" (and so many Milepoint posts deal with this!), that is why I'd rather pay extra for a "refundable" fee, than save a few $ by purchasing a clearly non-refundable one. And there's always trip insurance options to consider should trip cancellation be a concern.

It's been a couple of years since I've booked my own TATL tickets (have been used to an employer's travel agent doing this). It was a rude awakening to see that similar coach seats on LH (on flights that we took 2 years ago) now only provide 50% credit for miles flown. :(

Again, thanks! :)

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered about the "refundable" thing when I read it in the OP's post because last week I purchased a Q fare to SIN in December and just assumed that since it was not unrestricted, there would be some kind of fee. I just looked and sure enough it says on the eticket:

REFUNDABLE/CXLFEE/CHGFEE

Therefore, there is a cancellation fee and a change fee...

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.