Question about the new SYD-DFW-SYD Route

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Pinkmoose, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick question, on the way back from DFW to SYD, there is a stop in BNE.How does this stop work?
    Do you exit the plane and then reboard after refueling?
    Do you sit in the plane during refueling?
    Do you (god forbid), leave the plane, collect your luggage, walk to the domestic terminal, recheck-in your luggage and then catch a domestic flight?

I just want this to be as easy as possible, specially following a 15 hr flight.
    Also the Qantas website is pretty useless for this info.

Thanks for your help.

PS Anyone who has taken this route, any tips for the flight?

2. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia isn't like the US where the 1st port is where everyone officially "enters" the country. Passengers going to either another international destination directly, or on to another Australian airport departing from the Int terminal & have a boarding pass are "in transit".

In BNE everyone deplanes. Those departing QF8 clear Immigration & Customs, get their bags & exit. Those continuing to SYD on QF8 go through the Transit path that leaves you airside, & you don't collect your checked bags.
    If it works like QF19, then any carry-on left on board has to be in the overhead locker. On some other flights carry-on needs to be carry-off so the cleaners can clean everything. At the appointed time, they call for boarding & all continuing on as well as new passengers board in the usual way. There is a Qantas lounge, coffee shops, some good Duty Free shops, ( though I don't know if the shops will be open at 0530), and generally a nice space to hang around in for an hour or so. Huge window view of the tarmac & sunrise. I think there may be showers available airside.

Some people will be flying on to SYD on a Domestic flight. This would not be the norm. So these folk clear Immigration & Customs, collect their checked bags & go to the Dom transfer desk which is to the Right after you exit the Immigration hall. Check-in for your onward flight. Then just outside the Int terminal you'll find the T Bus, which goes regularly. Boarding pass / eticket works as your ticket for the bus. You wouldn't want to walk between terminals, too far - couple km. There's also a train between terminals, immediately outside. Not sure if the boarding pass works as a ticket on the train.

Only reasons I can see for catching a Dom flight if final destination is SYD would be because the Customs & immigration in BNE are generally very fast, & SYD can be a zoo. And because it's a different flight # there will be extra SC & points accrued.

On Wednesday I flew BNE SYD on QF8 on it's 1st flight.

LETTERBOY and Mal like this.
  3. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the rundown.
    Also congratulations on being on the maiden flight.

How did you survive the 15.5 hours of flying?

4. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur with storyteller's comments

As for SYD being a zoo, it's not all that bad - and that's being an Australian citizen without an express pass and non-priority luggage.

My big tips for any frequent traveller entering Australia are these:

Duty free: If you can, jump the queues and preorder to collect it at your arrival airport.

Customs: Sorry, no cheats here unless you're holding an Express pass or something that allows you to use the Business/APEC/Diplomatic lanes.

Quarantine: Every single bag at Australian airports is screened, and you're risk assessed by at least two officers on the queue.

So if you know your flight is near full and there's a few others landing around the same time as yours... Pray your bags come out early to avoid the queues, and carry something low risk from a low-risk country that forces you to take the Red channel.

This will allow you to skip the long queues in Green, plus you'll be out in minutes (My quarantine record is 2min). Also make sure the item is placed is an easily accessible part of the bag (outer pocket) so they don't need to open the whole bag to dig it out.

Bonus points: State to the officer on the screening line exactly what the product is and where it is from (Eg; wood products from Republic of Korea), or have something that'll cause you to say something pithy that bring a smile to their faces.

For example, If you ticked the box regarding contact with non-domestic animals, I took great pleasure in saying I was tongue kissed by a Rothschild Giraffe. The look on the officers face and her reaction was priceless.

[​IMG]

MissBurrill, Grozzy and rwoman like this.
  5. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have liked to have done the whole maiden trip starting Monday 16th SYD DFW then that night DFW SYD, but caught myself before I pressed the "pay" button & reassessed my sanity.:eek:

So I ended up just doing the short BNE SYD. The longer flights pass quickly. Board, settle in, meal, wine, movie, sleep, snack, movie, sleep, hot breakfast, land.

The DFW BNE leg won't be too difficult. It's not that unusual for LAX MEL to be around 15 hours 50 minutes!

6. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have it quite set when you fly. I normally fly something like this:
    • Enter the plane
    • Stow my luggage in my overhead looker and take a seat
    • Then watch for two different types of passengers (which I have observed at least one of each on every flight I have ever been on), which I find very amusing:
    1. Watch the people struggle to walk down the isle with 1 rolling luggage and 2 or more other bags. They normally hit every single person on the way to their seat. Then watch the same person try to stuff all their luggage into an overhead locker. Normally it is too big, so they look around for more room and then continue trying to cram it in. Then they stop, roll their eyes, look around again, give the luggage one large push and then give up, leaving their luggage precariously positioned and about to fall out of the locker and then take their seat.
    2. See another passenger put their items into the overhead locker and take their window seat. They then buckle their seat belt before realizing they forgot something. They then get up, walk to the isle, block the isle, get their bag down and fish something out of it. Then they place their bag in the overhead locker and sit back down at the window and fasten their seat belt. Normally someone comes and sits next to them at this stage. The person seated at the window then realizes that they need something else from their bag, so unfastens their seat belt, excuses themselves and then pushes past the seated passenger to get back to their bag, again blocking the isle. They then get something else out of their bag, excuse themselves again then then push past their fellow seated passenger before taking their window seat. Just when you thought they were set and they have just normally asked the flight attendants to arm the doors, do they unfasten their seat belts, push past the now two seated passengers, grab their bag from their overhead locker and either return one of the first two items they fetched, or grab yet another item before pushing back to their seat and sitting down.
    • I then talk to my wife about said passengers and then we have a silent giggle about it
    • Then takeoff and the first meal is normally served
    • Eat while watching first movie
    • Order a drink
    • Order another drink
    • Watch another movie with another drink
    • Not tired yet, even though it is pitch black inside the place and everyone is asleep
    • Watch another movie while having another drink
    • Then have another drink
    • Contemplate having another drink but realize I should get some sleep
    • Try to sleep
    • Realize that I am really, really awake
    • Really try to sleep
    • Give up tossing and turning, as much as a 100kg, 6 foot tall guy can toss and turn in economy class seats
    • Totally give up on sleeping
    • Watch another movie
    • Have another drink
    • Think another drink will help me sleep and therefore have another drink
    • Try sleeping again
    • Not able to sleep
    • Watch anything which I have not watched yet
    • Finally fall asleep through some sort of romantic comedy or foreign film
    • Get woken up 20 minutes later by my darling wife who doesn't want me to miss the next meal
    • Eat next meal
    • Sit their watching reruns of movie I have previously watched until plane lands
    • Amuse myself watching people struggle with 3 massive bags (same person as earlier in the flight)
    • Wait in Immigration line for 2 hours
    • Arrive at Immigration agent looking with a Zombie with bloodshot eyes and answer stupid questions about whether I would perform terrorist attacks against the US
    • Get cab to hotel
    • Pass out and sleep for 16 hours straight
    See flying is 'fun' isn't it?????

JohnnieD and gleff like this.
  7. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this still a valid plan? I used to buy a bag of candy before departure specifically so I could declare and use the red line. The last few times I've done it didn't seem to speed up the process at all.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it isn't; not at SYD. They've rearranged the system so that you have to go through pretty much the entire Customs/quarantine queue before you are hived off to have your declaration checked. This, apparently, was precisely because too many people were using genuine but trivial declarations to get through the red channel quickly, jumping the queue in the green channel.

However, a genuine but trivial declaration can still someimtes get you out without having to have your bags X-rayed, possibly on the basis that you appear to know what you're doing, you look honest, and the quick chat with the officer about your declaration is satisfactory - and possibly because the officer at passport control has scribbled some code on your form. In fact, sometimes I have been waved through after a quick chat, bypassing the X-ray machine even when I have had nothing to declare, when the queue has reached an excessive length; I suspect that the selection for that is done on a similar basis.

9. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The famous "green stamp" go directly to exit.
    Have found it helps to stand with your passport visible, particularly if a Western one, look for where officers are approaching people and try and stand near them

10. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for everyones help wityh all my questions, but I have just returned from the DFW-BNE-SYD flight and just wanted to give you all a quick update on the return flight.
    The first thing which is very important to remember is that you have to complete a security clearance when arriving back in BNE. This is done immediately upon leaving the plane and all carry on luggage needs to be taken with you. I have been told this is a new thing just introduced last week, as prior to this passengers were able to leave their carry-on luggage on the plane during the refuel. This means that you are not allowed to carry ANY liquids from the US. Quite a few people lost their duty free, including some very nice wines and tequilas. However Qantas officials took their names and contact details to reimburse them for their loss.
    Apart from that, the rest of the flight was pretty easy going. The cabin crew were great as always and there were at least 30 economy seats free (couldn't see further up that plane), so my wife and I could stretch across three seats.

So overall it was a great holiday, and thanks for everyones assistance again.
    PS, this flight also got me to silver (yay!).

11. Ewing
    Original Member

Ewing Active Member

Status Points:
    AU passport in hand, with filled out passenger card and express card visible.

I think I'm up to ~10 arrivals in a row being sent straight through the exit.

In any case, thanks for the heads up Pinkmoose about QF8 - I was wondering about that as I'm on QF7/QF8 in just over a month. I guess it means that if I get any duty free from the US that it goes in my checked baggage.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    But how do you get it into the checked luggage? The duty free stores in the USA are airside, so that you would have no access to checked luggage. Note also that AFAIK there aren't duty free arrival stores in the USA.

13. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't bother with duty free. It is actually much cheaper just to go to a good wine and liquor shop and buy things there. We went to a liquor outlet in San Marcos and then had Australian Penfolds Grange for $295 (which retails $495 here). They also had bourbon and gin about 20% cheaper than duty free.
    If you bought from out of the airport then it is easy to pack into your checked luggage. Don't risk trying to get carry on into the country.