Question about Self-Guided Walking Tours in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kansassurveymama, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Me and my honey are talking about trying a self-guided walking tour in Ireland. If any of you have been on one of these, what company did you use and would you recommend them? Do you have any other suggestions? We are thinking of a 4-6 day tour around the end of October. I know it may be a little cooler then, and we are aware of the rainfall we will surely encounter, but we are thinking this is a good off-season time to go. Thanks in advance!

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're referring to hiking trails where there is a support vehicle to haul around your belonging to your next stop? I'm a frequent Ireland visitor but that's one area I don't have experience with. If you've picked out a specific region, the local tourist office might be the best place to start.

Take a look through the Galway site. I see a lot of bike and 4WD tours, but there might be something hidden further on the site that might meet your needs, or you could e-mail for a reference. Other city/county tourist offices might have similar sites.

3. Thanks, Tom. Yes, basically, we would walk daily from stop to stop while our overnight and rest-of-the-trip stuff was driven from stop to stop. I've done some research on a couple different companies, but Ireland is just so darn beautiful that I can't decide which region to do something like this! A tourist office would be a good start, thanks. Do you have a favorite region that you love for the scenery, the people, or any reason in general?

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite place in all of Ireland is Doolin, just a few miles from the Cliffs of Moher. with Galway being the closest big city (90 mins by bus). I have hiked along the coast between Doolin and the Cliffs, but it was rather treacherous and muddy, so won't do that again. The last two times I just walked along the road which is about a 5 mile trip. There is very limited bus service between the two. There's something very special about standing in the fog or rain at the Cliffs as waves crash in. There is a visitors center there with a coffee shop if the weather turns seriously bad.

Doolin has all of 3 pubs with music at night, a handful of places you can eat (depending on time of year it could be those very three pubs as some places are seasonal), and it's just a nice place to walk about and relax.

The tour books aim everyone towards Dingle as it's more populated there and has much more in terms of accommodations and restaurants. Too touristy for me.

I have a number of Ireland photos HERE.
    I was over with friends in February and the Ireland photos from that trip, which included a van tour from Galway, are HERE.

[​IMG]

deant likes this.
  5. Oh. My. These pictures are GORGEOUS. So beautiful, I almost teared up on the first one! :rolleyes: Haha, thanks a million, this is just the kind of help we needed.

deant and tom911 like this.