Question about SDC'ing (checking upgrade list + SDC'ing back to original flight)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by daemon14, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on the 11:30pm LAX-JFK flight tomorrow that shows J9 and has only 4/16 seats occupied in BE. Since it's a Saturday, I'm hoping DM/PM loads are light and that this GM gets a shot at an upgrade.

I noticed that the flight 2 hours earlier at 9:30pm also shows J9 and is only 2/16 seats occupied.

I know that starting at 6:30pm, I can call in to SDC to the earlier 9:30pm flight. I should be able to SDC since it's Y9 on that flight right now. If I call in, would the DL rep be able to tell me what the upgrade list looks like in terms of # of DMs/PMs/higher GMs at that moment?

Or would a better solution be to track the Y bucket and ask to SDC at the airport where there's a better chance to know where I'd fall on the list? I don't mind getting to LAX early and I have an expiring club pass that I can use if I need to burn some time ...

LAX-JFK upgrades happen at the gate, usually about an hour beforehand, so if I don't get upgraded at 8:30pm for the 9:30pm flight, can I SDC back to my 11:30pm flight? If I'm going to be in coach, I prefer that timing ...

2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will you be checking bags? If so you can't SDC back to your original flight if you check bags for the earlier 9:30pm flight.

If you don't check bags you can definitely SDC back to the later flight but there's no guarantee that you will get the upgrade on that flight so it's down to whether you want to get to JFK earlier or wait at LAX and hope for the upgrade on the later flight if it looks like you'll miss it on the earlier flight.

Also, FYI, just because you can see the monitors at the airport with the upgrade list - you have no idea where you will fall on the list until you're added to the flight. A phone agent isn't likely to tell you solid info but may give you a general idea. The agents at the airport will have a lot more data at their fingertips to tell you.

It doesn't hurt to call at 630pm and ask and see what info you can get. Do you want to sit at the airport for a few extra hours?

-RM

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW. The flight was last night. I was #9 for 12 seats available for the 11:30pm flight. I was at the airport anyway and was told by the GA that the 9:30pm was "a guarantee." Took it and flew BE.

Now at the JFK SC. I was told that I was let in as a courtesy since I was upgraded rather than let in as a B/E pax. That seems like a new policy. I have a connection from JFK but I always thought that any transcon BE passenger (whether paid or upgraded) would be let in to the SC.