Question about Point/Award Strategy to Israel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Flyerdad, Aug 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Hello all: I am looking for thoughts on my points/award strategy for 2015:

I have 500,000 AA miles, 450,000 UA miles, 300,000 MR (AMEX) miles, 300,000 UR (Chase) miles, and 100,000 SPG points.

For next summer, I need 3 premium class seats from SFO-TLV. Right now, I can book round trip on Turkish Air business class. I would burn all the UA miles and transfer 30,000 from UR, so 160,000 for each of us. Great connections, times and availability.

480,000 is a lot of miles (although I don't value UA miles as highly as Chase or Amex). Any thoughts about whether there might be a better use of miles for business or first class that would have a likelihood of three seats? Could I reasonably get a better product for same or fewer miles?

One last thought--I was very disappointed in UA F--I thought it was terrible. So I am willing to pay more for TK business, which I anticipate will have better service and food and strong hard product.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    traveltoomuch and brucewil like this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Not to be a UA fan, but... they're running 2x 777's a day from EWR and, for now at least, they're using Continental's 2-cabin config with the pmCO BusinessFirst seat (6-across on the 777). I like these a little better than the UA C seat (8 across!), and it means you'd avoid UA's other-carrier premium. Single connection routing from SFO, which has some charms, too.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Flyerdad likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Sure, but good luck finding 3 award seats on the same flight to make that work. I'd likely pay the 10k premium each way just to get it confirmed if the inventory is available now. That's not much of an up-charge, really.

TK C can be hit-or-miss on the service, but the seat is decent enough and the food is usually good, assuming you like that style of food.