Question about multi-stop MRs

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by MSYgirl, Aug 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

This may be a dumb question or posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

How do you book MRs/trips with multiple stops? When I search AA or some other flight websites, I don't see an option to book more than a starting point, just a layover or two and a final destination. I'm looking to book a MR through a number of states in November to obtain the miles I need to reach PLT. It's either that or I book an international flight to make up the difference. I'll be short about 9k EQMs or less if my trip to Norfolk pans out in October.
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

I use ITA to figure out the routing, then plug it into Hipmunk to book. You can do something like RDU::UA UA UA+ to force 3 or more segments out of RDU, or you can force connections in specific cities, al la: RDU::UA IAH UA ORD (forces one segment RDU->IAH and one segment IAH -> ORD).

Once you figure out the routing you want, you can plug those rules into Hipmunk.

The "fun" think about ITA, is that it has a timeout limit, and returns whatever it finds in that time. So if you say RDU::UA UA+ to SFO, it'll likely just give you the simple RDU-IAH-SFO options that are easy for it to figure out. The more complicated your request, the more it'll use the allotted processing time to find what you want.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

You can also often use the multi-city option on the airline or OTA sites. If you want UA to sell you LGA-IAH-SFO-HNL you wouldn't just search LGA-HNL but rather LGA-SFO + SFO-HNL. The site knows there are no non-stop options for LGA-SFO so it should display the valid options such as the IAH connection. I wrote up an example about making Hipmunk do it here. And some details on how to do it in ITA are here.

Yes and no. I find that the more specific I am in my query the more likely I am to actually get what I'm looking for rather than the results from other airlines or such.
    desamo likes this.