Question about MP users

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TrippePanAM, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am a regular on flyertalk and use that most of the time. although the layout of milepoint is kinda cool. do most people that use milepoint also use flyer talk ? or are people here defectors

I find it kinda interesting that these sights are so similar. I realize the may sound silly and stupid but just a point of infomoration question?

Freddie Listo, Chimpy, cennas and 4 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    TrippePanAm,

I think that many of us post on both forums. That said, while the content can be similar, the personality of the communities does tend to differ.

:)robin

cennas, kellio, DCA1K and 4 others like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll find many people here are also there. Not many of the people there are here, which some here may be thankful for.

Indeed, as that board has grown (and is approaching 15 years of age), there certainly are more rules and a more heavy hand of moderation in many of the areas (though not all). Some people have left there due to the behavior of posters. A classic example relates to an AA flight leaving SFO that had some sort of alleged bad-guys on the plane. I forget all the details, but on ft, a relatively new poster was the first to break the news. Several of the most immediate replies were essentially calling the op a liar, citing his/her newness as one of the reasons not to be trusted. It turns out the op was spot on. The tone of the thread here on the same topic was much more relaxed...and stones were not thrown.

Against that, there is a much richer set of content over on FT...simply a product of nearly 15 years of building. (readers do need to be careful as some info there is now outdated) and due to lighter traffic here, response times to queries posted can be much longer.

Although not a newbie myself, if I have a question that I need quickly answered, i will often post in the "flame free" newbie threads there and usually get an answer within minutes. The same question posted here sometimes went unanswered for a day...till I posted the answer myself (based on what I learned at ft).

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both boards have their fans and detractors and many go back and forth between the two. In general, I find Milepoint more collegial and supportive, whereas FT has a critical mass of vets and newbies (though MP is building in this respect also!)

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) well said!

cennas and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  6. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed some members have the same handle as their flyertalk name........ I selected a different path and decided to do a different name... Though my flyer talk name also has a Legacy carrier in the name:D Airline history is fun.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still use FT in the sense that I still visit and look around some of the forums, but the amount of time I spend there is significantly reduced. I also stopped posting, for a variety of reasons, among them that I want to cut my time spent reading and getting drawn into silly discussions that lead to nothing but bad feelings on all sides.

8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm here because I've gotten tired of posters over there just waiting to jump down your throat if you write anything that is in the least bit inaccurate.

As NYBanker points out, FT has 15 years of posts but, also like NYB, I've come here to help build that data.

Mike

9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    First and formost, welcome and wonderful holidays to you.

As for similar, at last count there are nearly a dozen various websites for frequent flyers, not just milepoint and FlyerTalk and frankly others like frequentflier.com's forums have existed for many, many years. While all similar in general nature and while I can only speak on behalf of two (FlyerTalk and Milepoint), I think it reasonable to believe that all were started with the idea of helping the frequent flyer become more knowledgeable about their travel. In essence, increasing their Travel IQ. And that's a good thing.

Similar? It's also like the airline industry. Why did JetBlue start up? Surely there were other airlines serving similar destinations as to where JetBlue started. But as we know, those that fly JetBue tend to be happy with that airline, those that don't seem to remain generally happy (to some degree!) with their airline of choice. And as we know, JetBlue did not serve the Eagle-Vail Airport when they started flying and to this day doesn't serve Zurich or Cape Town, but yet its passengers remain happy. So has the start of JetBlue created an unhappy balance in the industry? Not likely, it is merely providing additional service and choices for passengers and isn't that a good thing? I'm not sure we'd all be happy if US Airways was the only airline available to fly in the U.S. (or Delta or Southwest for that matter). But let's take a look. There are nearly 300 million members of frequent flyer programs in the world. At last count, all the frequent flyer forums together don't add up to more than 500,000 registered members. If it is considered a good idea to have more informed travelers, then the current forums are really underserving that population because there are 299,500,000 travelers who need help.

Anyway, as noted, similar is OK and frankly anyone who cares about their fellow traveler should worry less about similar and be pleased about how their own efforts no matter where they are can help.

Here's a great—absolutely great—example of Milepoint. On Milepoint, we have a Kiva Lending Team on Kiva.org where there are "similar" teams, nearly 22,000 of them. Here's a recent exchange wehere one member of Milepoint mentions that they tried recruiting friends to the Milepoint Kiva Lending Team but were unsuccessful. Read what the followup to not being able to land those friends as members of Milepoint's Lending Team:
    kivarecruiting.jpg
    KiveRecruiting2.jpg

This is what Milepoint is all about. Do these members spit forth taunts toward those that chose to join other teams? Do they diss the other teams? Not in this case. They, as noted above, see that while it might have been good to have them join our Lending Team, that in the end, Kiva was the winner and in the case of "similar" frequent flyer forums, we place the goal of helping all frequent flyers become more knowledgeable about their travel regardless of where they post and I'm pretty pleased to have helped build two so far and likely will be involved in helping build a few more in 2012 and beyond.

The real call—helping build additional resources for frequent flyers is a good thing and if we are helping someone, does it really matter where they are being helped?

(thanks to members of the Milepoint Kiva Lending Team for unknowingly being great examples of what Milepoint hopes to continue to build on)

10. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice and succinct. I guess that's why you're the boss. Oh, and you've got PM. :)

Mike

11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will find that many members of both forums will have their FT handle in their signature. I don't know that this is as "important" now as it was in Feb/Mar when we were all get [re]acquainted.

TravelMusing, kellio and rwoman like this.
  12. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    The generous spirit of MP is amazing. Many thanks to the founders, guides, and members for a great 1st year!

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As Randy says, there's a perfect fit for everyone. No wrong answers. I still use FlyerTalk from time to time. In fact, just the other day I did some reading there of threads on travel to Cuba to help my sister with a trip.

For obvious reasons, I do my posting here on MP. But, a significant secondary reason for me is a desire to help others. I see a good info base on FlyerTalk, and a great group of people here on Milepoint that are willing to help answer questions. And, our knowledge base is growing!

14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I like here is the software platform, and that has encouraged me to post several trip reports in addition to participating in airline and hotel forums. I do try to generate original content when I am out traveling.

I find it rather pleasant to interact with flyers who are just starting off in the frequent flyer world, much like I did 20 years back when I split my time among air and travel forums on both GEnie and Compuserve and had my questions answered there. Much easier when the membership base is not as large as some competing sites. Even had short stints on Prodigy and AOL (AOL was so new that my screen name was my real name, and it hadn't been taken by someone else). I joined UA's Mileage Plus program in 1992 when they ran a promo with Prodigy offering 5,000 bonus miles for booking an itinerary on line with Easy Sabre, and haven't looked back since. Each of those sites grabbed my interest for various lengths of times, sometimes months and often years, based on the software, content and members, and cost (Compuseve charged by the minute, so better to get on line grab your messages, and get off line, but they had software for that). How far we've come!

I think Milepoint is off to a good start and can only get better from here.

15. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to toss in my two cents, I read and use both sites as they both provide some content of value to me. I have found myself at milepoint more because I like the layout/design of the website, ease of use, and things like the iPad app (so wish FT had one). I have also seen what others have mentioned about people on FT pouncing all over people and getting into those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" discussions.

16. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to Know Thanks.. In addition to all who have provided responses I appreciate you taking the time to respond.The feedback and information was enlightening and educational :)

TravelMusing and kellio like this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No question I use and abuse both the iPad and iPhone app. We're trying to make some more tweaks to both in the future to make them even more usable.

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am on both (a different name on FT) and enjoy MP because its iPhone app is much much better, amongst other things already mentioned.

TravelMusing and canucklehead like this.
  19. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not active on FT, for the most part because I didn't want to get flamed. Although I still visit it regularly, my visit is limited to very few forums. I find people are nicer here and the atmosphere in general is very nice and friendly. I also like MP's layout and design, it's an overall much better experience.

20. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto to this... I actually got mad over comments over at TOBB from FTers who seem to have a condescending attitude towards children travelling premium.

I know this is a sticky issue, and I truly hope that the people here in MP are more tolerant towards children...

For some strange reason, I roar when children are belittled... :p

cennas likes this.
  21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as we're in the confessional booth here....I echo a lot of the sentiments already expressed here, especially NYBanker's.

I still go to FT for past content, but I am only a lurker there now. Someone in the braintrust here turned me on to MP the first day it went beta, and I have never logged in to FT since.

While both places thrive on user content, it's still a two-way street. The atmosphere here at MP is MUCH more welcoming and pleasant. While I don't need to have my ass kissed, when questions and feedback are given to the right people in a PM, the folks here at MP are welcoming and seem to really appreciate that (even if they might think the idea is dumb). Whereas at the other place, the reply comes over as if it's an insult to them. That's a big issue for me.

This place feels more Dale Carnegie to me, whereas the other place is more Dale Earnhardt Sr (back in the day).

It's like any business, I will pay a little more for a much better experience and reward that place with my business. Same goes to frequent flier discussion boards.

Gargoyle and cennas like this.
  22. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though some would argue its more Busch brothers than Dale Sr. :p

But in all seriousness, I am here because I feel as a relatively recent participant in the game, I can actually have my opinion valued instead of ignored or blasted because I haven't been with a particular program for 10 years.

kellio and cennas like this.
  23. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on both but participate here most. I'm slightly more than a lurker over at FT for the same reasons as the others in this thread. This board is way more newbie friendly so it's way easier for me to learn and get started over here.

24. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on both sites. However, my screen name on the other site is different. MilePoint is way cooler than the other site.

25. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, TPA. I'm on both boards, with different, but linked names. Each site has pros and cons, but both are valuable sources of information.

You're right. Airline history is fun. And Juan Trippe was one of the more interesting airline execs from the golden age . . .

tommy777 and Gargoyle like this.