Question about miles posting to Continental account

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by habsfan, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I'm new to the miles game, and had a question about how miles on Star Alliance partner airlines should post to a Continental One Pass account...

I recently flew several flights with Swiss International Airlines, and the miles for most have posted to my Continental account (one of them had to be submitted for credit). On my boarding pass, under class, each of the tickets says "Y." According to Continental's web site, "Y" class should count as 150% for elite qualification miles; however, for the flights that have already posted, they counted at 100%. Is there a mistake, or am I missing something/misunderstanding the way that miles post?

Thanks!

tondoleo likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

Typically what is printed on a boarding pass is not the fare class that you actually booked --- they use "Y" to signify all Economy fares, "F" for all First fares, etc.

You need to see your original reservation to see what fare class you were booked into, not the boarding pass.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a couple of things here. First the applicable *A rules:
    So, because the flight was operated by SWISS, you should check to see what "Y" would earn you according SWISS booking class and not according to CO's. According to http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51397,00.html "Y" earns 100% flight miles on SWISS.
    Second, and this is what genemk2 stated above, the booking class on the ticket may not correspond to the booking class used to determine the flight miles earned, which the operating airline (SWISS) determines. According to SWISS, Y earns 100% flight miles.

Both rules say that you earn 100% and not 150% miles on this flight..

Welcome to MP!

4. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your responses!

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is NOT the proper link to verify the earning rates for crediting a Swiss flight to Continental. That would work if crediting to United but the rules for United and Continental are still different for 29 more days. The proper link for credit to CO is http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-U...s/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=297 and it clearly indicates that a Y fare would earn 150% EQMs. That said, it is quite unlikely that the OP was on a Y fare, just that they were in the Y cabin.
    The letter stated on the boarding pass (not the ticket!) is the booked cabin, not the booking class. The letter on the ticket, something that most passengers never actually see, is nearly always the same as the booking cabin used to determine mileage credit, except when codeshares are involved.

Flyer1976 and davidbbrenner like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read my post! Where did anyone claim that the link provided was for "claiming credit" of ay kind, which was not even the question the OP had asked? Read the question and then my post and apologize for your constant, reflexive and childish need to prove others wrong and yourself right.

It can or cannot be, but anyone who travels extensively, at least this 1K, knows that. Thus, you added nothing to what my response and genemk2's had already done. I had provided the *A rule that answered the OP's question. The response provided to the OP's question was correct. Had the OP asked where to get the credit, I am sure that the proper link would have been provided. There was no need to jump in here and claim that anyone had provided the wrong information.

BTW: It seems that the OP even already knew how to get retro-credit: ("one of them had to be submitted for credit")

Bottom line:
    The OP had already properly thanked the contributors for their responses, and I consider this issue/thread dead.

Ciao, mate.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You claimed to be providing a link to the earning rules for a Swiss flight credited to the OnePass program. You didn't. You provided a link to the earning rules for the MileagePlus program. And I never said that the link was about "claiming credit" despite your assertion that I've somehow misled folks by using those words, which I did not.

The link I provided is the correct one for determining the credit one should earn for a Swiss flight posting to the OnePass program.

Continuing to paste content from united.com and claim that it is the "Star Alliance" rules is bad form. If you want to share *A rules start at the *A website. But please some claiming that the UA policies are *A policies. They aren't.

Yes, my reaction to correcting false information is reflexive. But it is hardly childish. Sharing the correct information works to the betterment of the entire community. If someone else posts the correct information then I usually just click the "like" button because I've got nothing more to say. When someone posts something that is blatantly wrong, however, I do correct it so that people reading the thread can discover the truth.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really\, a SAD COMMENTARY...:(

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to play nice, folks!

JLSocks and genemk2 like this.